• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

20mm xw (1 Viewer)

woodhornbirder

REcycled some money from a sale this week and bought this ep second hand.

190 was a price that was very hard to resist.

Fist pentax ep i have owned, so am really looking forward to trying it out.

Sadly i was piped at the post, biddin on a pf65 this week(

win some/lose some!

rollon tue!!

REcycled some money from a sale this week and bought this ep second hand.

190 was a price that was very hard to resist.

Fist pentax ep i have owned, so am really looking forward to trying it out.

Sadly i was piped at the post, biddin on a pf65 this week(

win some/lose some!

rollon tue!!

On the subject... I was trying to buy it on B&H... and it was tagged as discontinued!!!!

One of the most recommended and acclaimed eyepieces for both telescopes and spotting scopes.... discontinued?!
I simply don´t get it...

Ivan,

This thread from Cloudy Nights eyepiece forum covers the subject of XW availability.

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthre...page/0/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/all/fpart/1/vc/1

Henry

You know I am really new to digiscoping... I am crawling, actually. I don´t even have a scope to begin with... ( I am ordering it yet)

I just got fascinated by digiscoping a few months ago... and I am ordering optic products(including digiscoping now... ).

When I saw the pentax scope I was amazed. Interchangeable eyepiece. The best eyepiece(XW). Perfect models 65, 80, 100. And the scopes are beautiful.
(Believe it or not... my resistance against nikon 82ED is because it is .... ugly)

But it is being hard to keep up with Pentax, honestly.

It is like if Pentax don´t really want me as an enthusiast of them.

First the 100ED is unavailable(the one I wanted the most). It is impossible to buy a new PF-100ED.
Next the XW´s are discontinued.
Also they don´t offer proper adapter.
Also they don´t offer proper information and charts about their digiscoping assembly.
To make things worst they don´t offer good point and shot cameras...

How am I supposed to enter digiscoping with a company like that???

It seems like they don´t really want new costumers. It seems like they do things to put potential costumers in troublesome situations.

That 100 Pentax scope with XW and adapter+ PS looks beautiful in the photo and I fell in love with it at the moment I saw it. But nothing of that is available, and what is available is in risk of discontinuity...

...Pentax seems careless. And I do not feel comfortable in trust in their careless behavior as a brand for my start at digiscoping.

Just my opinion.

I am sorry but pentax made everything for me to jump into the solid Nikon Digiscoping assembly or the Kowa+Canon combo. As I trust in nikon binos(and so their scopes must be good) and I trust in Canon cameras(I have Canon´s cameras for years)

(About Digiscoping... Pentax is signing its name in the b-list. And I don´t know why, because still that PF-100ED+XW looks beautiful to me)

Last edited:
Did you read the Cloudy Nights link?

The Pentax factory that makes the XW (and I presume the other Pentax EPs and spotting scopes) was destroyed in the tsunami. Currently Pentax can't make XW EPs. This is not a management decision (though some may see it as a gift to Hoya) but a consequence of a natural disaster.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back