• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Studland area (1 Viewer)

birdermoose

birder
Hello every one .
Next week I am going on a visit to Studland bay and the surrounding areas but as this area is new to me I dont know what birds are found there and were the best places are (Apart from Brownsea Island). If some one could give me some help that would be great. Also is there any were near Swanage that's good for sea birds like Guillemots, Gannets, Fulmars etc?
Thanks

You can expect to see Fulmar, Razorbill & Guillemot at Durlston Head just south of Swanage. Gannets are often viewable offshore from here. http://www.durlston.co.uk
Go to Dancing Ledge for Puffins as well.

All of the Purbeck coastline is good for migrants, although Durlston is a good as place as any to look.

Arne RSPB is probably worth a visit for Osprey, heathland birds and reptiles.

Wareham Forest is good for woodland/heathland birds

You can expect to see Fulmar, Razorbill & Guillemot at Durlston Head just south of Swanage. Gannets are often viewable offshore from here. http://www.durlston.co.uk
Go to Dancing Ledge for Puffins as well.

All of the Purbeck coastline is good for migrants, although Durlston is a good as place as any to look.

Arne RSPB is probably worth a visit for Osprey, heathland birds and reptiles.

Wareham Forest is good for woodland/heathland birds

Durlston does look fantastic and so does Arne.
Thanks for the info!

The Studland peninsular has quite a few good places. The beaches are all National Trust and so unless you're a member, will cost you to park. However, if you park in the main car park (Knoll Beach) you can walk through the dunes to Studland Little Sea (I've seen Lesser Scaup there a few years back). Then walk back out towards the sea onto Shell Beach (Sanderlings in winter). The walk through the dunes towards Little Sea should produce Dartford Warbler.
The other beaches (Middle and South) are probably better in the winter with divers, scarce grebes and mixed scoters.
Another good place is Brand's Bay. This is on the right hand side (as you come away from the ferry) and the best place to stop is when you see the estuary become a river as there is a hide tucked away giving great views over Poole Harbour (time it with the tides though).

It's probably a bit early for Nightjars, but there have been a few reported on Birguides. It might be worth trying anyway. Godlingston Heath is great for them and reliable every year.

Hope this helps.

Andy.

The Studland peninsular has quite a few good places. The beaches are all National Trust and so unless you're a member, will cost you to park. However, if you park in the main car park (Knoll Beach) you can walk through the dunes to Studland Little Sea (I've seen Lesser Scaup there a few years back). Then walk back out towards the sea onto Shell Beach (Sanderlings in winter). The walk through the dunes towards Little Sea should produce Dartford Warbler.
The other beaches (Middle and South) are probably better in the winter with divers, scarce grebes and mixed scoters.
Another good place is Brand's Bay. This is on the right hand side (as you come away from the ferry) and the best place to stop is when you see the estuary become a river as there is a hide tucked away giving great views over Poole Harbour (time it with the tides though).

It's probably a bit early for Nightjars, but there have been a few reported on Birguides. It might be worth trying anyway. Godlingston Heath is great for them and reliable every year.

Hope this helps.

Andy.
Thanks Andy,
Dartford Warblers are a long awaited Lifer so I will defiantly lookout for those
Thanks again for all the info!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back