• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Should be an easy one (1 Viewer)

brianhstone said:
Your thoughts please. Small - FW=6-7mm

Hi Brian,
I think your spm is the Tortricoid Croesia forsskaleana Linn. It is quite a variable species. According to Bradley et.al. wing span 12-16mm. Apparently a locally common woodland species in England and Wales.

Now known as Acleris forsskaleana due to changes in nomenclature. Bradley and Fletcher no.1036.
The picture on the UK Moths site shows one form with a central dark patch that is missing in other specimens. Bradley's British Tortricoid Moths shows three variants including the spm you caught.

Harry

Last edited:
harry eales said:
Hi Brian,
I think your spm is the Tortricoid Croesia forsskaleana Linn. It is quite a variable species. According to Bradley et.al. wing span 12-16mm. Apparently a locally common woodland species in England and Wales.

Now known as Acleris forsskaleana due to changes in nomenclature. Bradley and Fletcher no.1036.
The picture on the UK Moths site shows one form with a central dark patch that is missing in other specimens. Bradley's British Tortricoid Moths shows three variants including the spm you caught.

Harry

Thanks

All the online pics I could find showed the dark patch, which is why I wasn't sure about this one.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back