• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The "B" quiz - by kind permission of Bill Moss (1 Viewer)

Elizabeth Bigg

Addicted member
This quiz has already appeared elsewhere, so some people will have seen it. You know who you are - and you are not eligible to enter this one! (All answers start with the letter B).

Please don't post any answers before 12 noon (British Summer Time) on Sunday 18th July.

1. A group of young birds raised simultaneously by a pair of, or more, adults
2. American Ornithologist of Scottish descent, sometime Director of the Smithsonian Institute. Has a wader named for him
3. Winter visitor to the UK, close relative of the Chaffinch. Very occasional breeder
4. A ball of food, especially a bundle of insects caught by swallows to feed young
5. Island bird reserve off the coast of N. Wales, noted both for passage and for nesting pelagics
6. One of the most widespread birds in the World, a (usually) nocturnal predator. Monotypic but with approx 25 races, of which the one native to the UK is the Nominate
7. Territorial display by male Mute Swan
8. The call of the Bittern
9. Passage migrant in the UK. Close relative to the Robin and comes in red-spotted and white-spotted varieties. Has bred (once) in Scotland
10. This organisation is responsible for the British List and no new birds can be added without its approval
11. The Meropidae, some of Nature's jewels
12 A branch of the feather stem, or a constituent unit of the feather vane
13. Alternative name for the Lesser Spotted Woodpecker
14. Second Secretary to the Admiralty for over 40 years, this man has not only a Duck named for him but also several Arctic and Antarctic geographical features
15. With facial markings that resemble spectacles
16. The Greyhen's mate
17. Folk name for the Red-backed Shrike, from its habit of impaling prey on thorns to form a 'larder';
18 Small American Duck, close relative of the Goldeneyes. Accidental in the UK with less than 10 accepted records since 1830. On every twitcher's wish-list but beware escapees!
19. This RSPB reserve is home to the England's only mainland breeding colony of Gannets
20. A pair of mandibles
21. There are 17 species of these, endemic to Oz and New Guinea. Noted for their large ornate ground nests, some species even paint them
22 Form of distraction display by ground-nesting birds to draw predators away from nest or flightless young
23. A Northumberland farmer's son. probably the most famous bird illustrator of all time. A wood engraver who produced the first comprehensive illustrated books of British Birds. Has a swan named for him
24. Rustic, Painted, Ortolan, and Indigo are all species of this widespread and often colourful family
25. An area on the underside of an incubating bird where the feathers are shed, leaving a bald patch to facilitat heat transfer from the bird to it's eggs.

Last edited:
I see that 30 people have already looked at this - but has anyone managed all the answers yet? Where it featured previously, no-one managed all 25 - though someone came pretty close (he's kicking himself now)!!!!!

19. This RSPB reserve is home to the UK's only mainland breeding colony of Gannets

OOPS!! Wrong information. There is a mainland Gannet breeding colony which is in Scotland and begins with "T" and has another letter to follow.

Regards

Malky.

alcedo.atthis said:
19. This RSPB reserve is home to the UK's only mainland breeding colony of Gannets

OOPS!! Wrong information. There is a mainland Gannet breeding colony which is in Scotland and begins with "T" and has another letter to follow.

Regards

Malky.

I'm only the messenger!!! I should have added a disclaimer! ;)

Elizabeth Bigg I'm only the messenger!!! I should have added a disclaimer! ;)

You are safe enough. You are too nice to shoot, and I ain't got a gun.

Regards

Malky. (Sent PM)

Mmm Elizabeth. Struggling with 1 of them. This term has not been used around me, although I have been seriously involved with these birds. Mmmmm.
Going to bed to lie awake al night thinking about this.

Regards

Malky.

Malky has pointed out an error in Question 19 (it came from a reference book that is now out of date) - so it has been amended.

If anyone wants to know if his/her answers are correct, please feel free to PM them to me for "marking"! :eek!: (But I'll only let you know your score - no indication of which answers were wrong, if any).

I told you it was a virtual score. You mean no=one else has answered the invisible questions? It's a good way of making sure that you win <grin>

However,

What did a hanging judge wear?
What are also known as colly birds
In the nursery rhyme 'Who killed Cock Robin?', who tolled the bell.
Which geese were once thought to grow on trees?
14 birds that breed or have bred in Britain have 'Black' in their names. What are they?

Gordon

1. A group of young birds raised simultaneously by a pair of, or more, adults
Brood

2. American Ornithologist of Scottish descent, sometime Director of the Smithsonian Institute. Has a wader named for him
Wilson

3. Winter visitor to the UK, close relative of the Chaffinch. Very occasional breeder
Brambling

4. A ball of food, especially a bundle of insects caught by swallows to feed young
Bolus

5. Island bird reserve off the coast of N. Wales, noted both for passage and for nesting pelagics
Bardsey

6. One of the most widespread birds in the World, a (usually) nocturnal predator. Monotypic but with approx 25 races, of which the one native to the UK is the Nominate
Barn Owl

7. Territorial display by male Mute Swan
Busking or swanning

8. The call of the Bittern
Boom

9. Passage migrant in the UK. Close relative to the Robin and comes in red-spotted and white-spotted varieties. Has bred (once) in Scotland
Bluethroat

10. This organisation is responsible for the British List and no new birds can be added without its approval
British Ornithologists' Union Records Committee (BOURC)

11. The Meropidae, some of Nature's jewels
Bee-eaters

12 A branch of the feather stem, or a constituent unit of the feather vane
Barbs & barbules

13. Alternative name for the Lesser Spotted Woodpecker
Barred Woodpecker

14. Second Secretary to the Admiralty for over 40 years, this man has not only a Duck named for him but also several Arctic and Antarctic geographical features
Barrow

15. With facial markings that resemble spectacles
Orbital ring

16. The Greyhen's mate
Blackcock

17. Folk name for the Red-backed Shrike, from its habit of impaling prey on thorns to form a 'larder';
Butcherbird

18 Small American Duck, close relative of the Goldeneyes. Accidental in the UK with less than 10 accepted records since 1830. On every twitcher's wish-list but beware escapees!
Bufflehead (and also Hooded Merganser, which recent genetic analysis has shown is closer to the goldeneyes than the other mergansers)

19. This RSPB reserve is home to the England's only mainland breeding colony of Gannets
Bempton

20. A pair of mandibles
Beak, bill

21. There are 17 species of these, endemic to Oz and New Guinea. Noted for their large ornate ground nests, some species even paint them
Bowerbirds

22 Form of distraction display by ground-nesting birds to draw predators away from nest or flightless young
Feigning a broken wing

23. A Northumberland farmer's son. probably the most famous bird illustrator of all time. A wood engraver who produced the first comprehensive illustrated books of British Birds. Has a swan named for him
Bewick

24. Rustic, Painted, Ortolan, and Indigo are all species of this widespread and often colourful family
Buntings (Emberizidae) - but Indigo Bunting (Cardinalidae) isn't a bunting ;)

25. An area on the underside of an incubating bird where the feathers are shed, leaving a bald patch to facilitat heat transfer from the bird to it's eggs.
Brood patch

------------

26. What did a hanging judge wear?
Black robes

27. What are also known as colly birds
Calling birds

28. In the nursery rhyme 'Who killed Cock Robin?', who tolled the bell.
The bull

29. Which geese were once thought to grow on trees?
Barnacle Geese

30. 14 birds that breed or have bred in Britain have 'Black' in their names. What are they?
Black-throated Diver, Black-necked Grebe, (Black Duck), Black Grouse, Black-winged Stilt, Black-tailed Godwit, Black-headed Gull, Lesser Black-backed Gull, Great Black-backed Gull, (Black-legged Kittiwake), Black Tern, Black Guillemot, Black Redstart, Blackbird, Blackcap, (Black-billed Magpie)

Here we go:

1. Brood
2. Baird
3. Brambling
4. Bolus
5. Bardsey Island
6. Barn Owl
7. Busking display
8. Boom
9. Bluethroat
10. British Ornitholigists' Union Records Committee
11. Bee-eaters
12. Barb
13. Barred Woodpecker
14. Barrow
15. Bridled
16. Blackcock
17. Butcher Bird
18. Bufflehead
19. Bempton Cliffs
20. Beak
21. Bowerbirds (but it seems 20 species are now recognised. See:
http://www.montereybay.com/creagrus/bowerbirds.html)
22. Broken-wing display
23. Bewick
24. Bunting
25. Brood patch

And Gordon's supplementary questions:

26. Black cap
27. Blackbird
28. Bull [finch]
29. Barnacle Goose
30. Black-throated Diver
- Black-necked Grebe
- Black Duck
- Black Grouse
- Black-winged Stilt
- Black-tailed Godwit
- Black-headed Gull
- Lesser Black-backed Gull
- Great Black-backed Gull
- Black Tern
- Black Guillemot
- Black Redstart
- Blackbird
- Blackcap

Last edited:
Michael Frankis said:
Wilson

Michael, I will freely admit you've forgotten more than I'll ever know.

But this is a B quiz!!

pduxon said:
Michael, I will freely admit you've forgotten more than I'll ever know.

But this is a B quiz!!
Oooops! I didn't notice that . . . must be going blind . . . (I know why, I copied & pasted the questions, but not the introductory bit, to do the answers offline before the 12.00 posting deadline)

Since Baird is already spoken for, I'll have to choose Mr. Black (after whom the Black Turnstone is named . . . :eek!:)

Michael

Last edited:
My thoughts

1. Brood
2. Baird
3. Brambling
4. Bolus
5. Bardsey Island
6. Barn Owl
7. Barging
8. Boom
9. Bluethroat
10. British Ornitholigists' Union Records Committee
11. Bee-eaters
12. Barb or barbules
13. Barred Woodpecker
14. Barrow (John)
15. Bridled
16. Blackcock
17. Butcher Bird
18. Bufflehead
19. Buckton/Bempton Cliffs
20. Beak or Bill
21. Bowerbirds
22. Broken-wing (display)
23. Bewick
24. Bunting
25. Brood patch

Malky.

ANSWERS (though they are hardly necessary!!!

1. Brood 2. Baird (Spencer Fullerton) 3. Brambling 4. Bolus 5.Bardsey 6. Barn Owl 7. Busking 8 Boom(ing) 9. Bluethroat 10. British Ornithologists Union (BOU) 11. Bee-eaters 12. Barb 13. Barred Woodpecker 14. Barrow (John) 15. Bridled 16. Blackcock 17. Butcherbird 18. Bufflehead 19.Bempton 20. Bill/Beak 21. Bowerbirds 22. Broken-wing trick 23. Bewick (Thomas) 24. Buntings 25 Brood patch

A point about number 10. Bill's answer was British Ornithologists' Union, but as I have discovered that BOURC is rather more detailed, people who had the last two initials are hereby awarded a Gold Star!!!!

Do those who hedged their bets on no.12 with "barbs and barbules" get half a mark deducted? Unless I'm much mistaken (it wouldn't be the first time), only the barb is a branch of the feather stem, the barbule being a branch of the barb. :brains:

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back