• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Starter Recording System (1 Viewer)

paulezrq

Hello, I have just found your web site, and signed on. I am a retired engineer, living in Hawaii. I enjoy watching, listening to and identifying birds. I would like to record the song of the White- Rumped Shama (Copsychus malabaricus), which according to the Hawaiian Audubon Society's booklet, lives here. They say: "This thrush is considered by many to be the best song bird in the Islands." It was introduced into Hawaii in 1931 from Malaysia. I propose to play his song back to him minutes or maybe days later to try to attract him to a place where I can see him.
I would like suggestions for "starter" equipment I might use for the task. Is there a tape cassette recorder available that has the required high frequency response, a microphone input jack and an audio output jack? What would be a good directional microphone, an audio amplifier, etc. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thank you.

Welcome to Birdforum,paulezrq,on behalf of the Moderators and Staff.

I'm sure you'll get some help with your query,but in the meantime,a search through old posts will probably pay dividends.

Hi paulezrq, welcome to Birdforum.

I am sure this has been discussed before. As Trevor suggests searching through old posts may help, but I am sure someone will offer advice before long.

Last edited:
White-rumped Shama video

paulezrq said:
Hello, I have just found your web site, and signed on. I am a retired engineer, living in Hawaii. I enjoy watching, listening to and identifying birds. I would like to record the song of the White- Rumped Shama (Copsychus malabaricus), which according to the Hawaiian Audubon Society's booklet, lives here. They say: "This thrush is considered by many to be the best song bird in the Islands." It was introduced into Hawaii in 1931 from Malaysia. I propose to play his song back to him minutes or maybe days later to try to attract him to a place where I can see him.

Hi paulezrq,

I've got a video and audio recording of a White-rumped Shama at http://thailandbirding.com It's about halfway down the page on the right side. The file is in MPG format and is 2.4 meg in size.

Please feel free to download it and use it anyway you wish. If you publish it anywhere, please give me credit... enjoy.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back