• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lightweight Waterproof Jacket (1 Viewer)

Jeremy

Upstanding Member
Hi,
Can anyone recommend a good quality lightweight waterproof jacket - something I can stow away in the corner of a bag, and take out quickly when there's a sudden downpour?
I want something that will withstand heavy rain, rather than is just showerproof. And preferably with not too much of that nasty, noisy velcro in the construction.
Thanks for any suggestions.
J.

Probably the RAB Momentum eVent is your best bet in the UK for FULL protection in heavy summer rain. If you are inclined to the lightest FULL protection, Montane makes an UL eVent pullover called the Spektr Smock. Their Minimus Jacket uses a new Pertex fabric and looks promising for a traditional jacket. I think Golite and Outdoor Research also have something similar but I think the jury is still out on this new Pertex.

Montbell also makes some quality UL rainwear using Gortex Pac-lite and Pro-Shell. Many folks swear by eVent over Gortex for "breathability" though I tend to think it is impossible avoid perspiration in any rain suite if you are active and wearing more than light underwear.

Last edited:
I have a Gortex Pac-lite jacked (Berghaus) and it is excellent, really lightweight but comfortable to wear and properly waterproof.

Hi Jeremy

Have to say I'm disappointed with the cheap lightweight North Face cagoule (model forgotten) I bought a couple of years ago. It withstands light rain (has not been tested in a downpour) but it is terrible for breathability esp in warm weather - when I wore it during such conditions it was as wet on the inside as out so I keep it now for cooler days.

I'ma big fan of Patagonia gear - for their environemental standards and general qualiuty of their products. I have another light cagoule from them which is superb (quiet, waterproof and breathable). They're expensive but it's possible to shop around for bargains online.

All the best

Andrew

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back