• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Peregrine, Trafalgar Square? (1 Viewer)

bongofury

I was in London on business this week and had a brief glimpse of what looked very much like a Peregrine landing on the plinth of Nelson's Column. I was just wondering if this is a regular spot for them - I did a Google search but nothing came back for me.

Last edited:
I was in London on business this week and had a brief glimpse of what looked very much like a Peregrine landing on the plinth of Nelson's Column. I was just wondering if this is a regular spot for them - I did a Google search but nothing came back for me.

ive seen them in that area quite a bit so its very likely it was!

Yep, peregrines are quite regular in middle of London! There's enough pigeons about so it's like heaven for them!

I think Spring or Autumn watch showed them breeding on the houses of parlement didn't they? They found Grey Parrot feathers at the nest site.

I need to be a bit more pro-active when it comes to Peregrines. I'm pretty sure I've seen them on a couple of locations but not had anyone with me to corroborate, nor have I been able to get a photo, despite living in London. Definitely a bird I want a confirmed sighting (and some photos) of.

I need to be a bit more pro-active when it comes to Peregrines. I'm pretty sure I've seen them on a couple of locations but not had anyone with me to corroborate, nor have I been able to get a photo, despite living in London. Definitely a bird I want a confirmed sighting (and some photos) of.

Tate Modern Phil - good chance of seeing them there, especially when the RSPB have the scopes set up at the bottom of the wobbly bridge.

Also, I used to live in Vauxhall near the bridge - had a pair there on one of the tall buildings, so could sit outside the pub in St George Wharf and see them hunting over the river and above your head.

Last edited:

err - you live in Putney and you haven't seen them? I'm rather surprised as there is a pair at Charing Cross Hospital, who can usually be seen at a perch there or often hunting over the Wetlands Centre at Barnes - again just down the road from you. Once you finally see them, I'm sure that you'll start seeing them all the time :)

http://fabperegrines.blogspot.com/

I know, I know...

I'm a WWT member so I go to the Wetland Centre regularly, but I've still never seen one. Every time I go there I spend plenty of time in the Peacock Hide, looking towards the hospital, but still no luck. Last time I went I was waiting for a bus near Barnes Station and thought I saw one - it was definitely a raptor and being seen off by a crow (if I remember correctly) - but I wasn't quick enough with my camera and I don't trust my own ID skills to be sure...

Come around to the other side of the Thames, to Fulham, and you're pretty much guaranteed a sighting at the moment as the young are about to take their first flights. I am the person behind fabperegrines and I'll be doing an informal watch point from next week on if all goes well (2 young have had to be rescued already).
Failing that, go to Parliament, I was told the parents brought their first young there today, it rarely failed me last year.

BTW, at the Wetland Centre, they're usually only visible when the planes are not flying ahead, i.e. the winds are easterly

Come around to the other side of the Thames, to Fulham, and you're pretty much guaranteed a sighting at the moment as the young are about to take their first flights. I am the person behind fabperegrines and I'll be doing an informal watch point from next week on if all goes well (2 young have had to be rescued already).
Failing that, go to Parliament, I was told the parents brought their first young there today, it rarely failed me last year.

BTW, at the Wetland Centre, they're usually only visible when the planes are not flying ahead, i.e. the winds are easterly

I got some great views yesterday (Sunday 17th) - first from Barnes and then from much closer.

I know, I know...

I'm a WWT member so I go to the Wetland Centre regularly, but I've still never seen one. Every time I go there I spend plenty of time in the Peacock Hide, looking towards the hospital, but still no luck. Last time I went I was waiting for a bus near Barnes Station and thought I saw one - it was definitely a raptor and being seen off by a crow (if I remember correctly) - but I wasn't quick enough with my camera and I don't trust my own ID skills to be sure...

I've been exactly the same with a lot of birds of prey too - Peregrine and Hobby were both species I 'should' have seen but hadn't even though I'd been in the right places. Finally saw both this year after missing them in various places where other people had seen them the same day... now going to be looking out for Merlins and Hen Harriers instead. :-O

If you haven't seen them then it can be surprisingly difficult to pick them out, seems sometimes almost as though you need someone to point it out so your brain can learn what to look for... have done that with a lot of birds over the last few years, someone shows me something new and then suddenly I start seeing them all over.

I've been exactly the same with a lot of birds of prey too - Peregrine and Hobby were both species I 'should' have seen but hadn't even though I'd been in the right places. Finally saw both this year after missing them in various places where other people had seen them the same day... now going to be looking out for Merlins and Hen Harriers instead. :-O

If you haven't seen them then it can be surprisingly difficult to pick them out, seems sometimes almost as though you need someone to point it out so your brain can learn what to look for... have done that with a lot of birds over the last few years, someone shows me something new and then suddenly I start seeing them all over.

I empathise completely! Hobby had eluded me for years like Sparrowhawk but once you see them for deefinate its as if the brain suddenly connects with the 'jizz' of the bird and they are subsequently much easier to pick out. I've had 4 Hobbies already this year (unlike just the 1 last year).

Merlin continues to elude me and though I've seen Hen Harrier just recently in France (for the first time), I've yet to see Marsh Harrier for definate. I may have seen one in northern France last year, but the glimpse was so fleeting, im unsure whether it was really a Marsh Harrier and not a Buzzard - though the head immediately struck me as being completely different to a Buzzard, but we passed by so quickly in the car, I'll never be really sure.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back