• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Local walks in Cheshire. (1 Viewer)

Jeanie

Jeanie with one n.
I live in Chester and whilst my 'main' Cheshire bird watching is done at IMF, Moore and Marbury, I am always on the look out for somewhere good to bird which is not a half/full day trip. By good I mean a fair variety of birds in easy to see surroundings.
Have recently discovered Wigg Island and occasionally go to Frodsham Marshes.
We sometimes get the bus to Ellesmere Port and walk back towards Chester along the canal.
Have also walked along Dukes Drive.
Stanney Woods is great for bird song.
The cycle path from Mickle Trafford to Queensferry also had plenty of bird life.

Do people have pleasant walks within Cheshire that they are willing to share?

Many thanks.

What about Delamere Forest with a walk round Blakemere. There's a few places on The Wirral, Thurstaston and Eastham CPs. I think Google could be your friend.

Many thanks for your input Ray. The Delamere Forest with a walk round Blakemere is a great walk.
What I am hoping from this post is that people will contribute their favoured walks in Cheshire for the benefit of Cheshire members. The sort of walks that may not necessarily show up on Goggle such as the canal walk from EP to Chester. Walks that people really enjoy.

Someone has suggested Whitegate Way
A former railway line Whitegate Way offers 6 miles of traffic free lanes to walk along. There are rail links at Cuddington and Winsford. The car park and picnic area at Whitegate Station is signed off the A54, south of A556. The car park is locked in the evening.

The Gowy, Mickle Trafford
The Gowy is located near Mickle Trafford between the Nags Head pub and the Shrewsbury Arms. Take the A56 through Mickle Trafford, the entrance to the car park is just after the Nags Head pub.

Great Barrow
There are lots of connecting public footpaths around the village of Great Barrow just a few miles out of Chester. The footpaths lead through fields, country lanes and a small wood full of bluebells. The wood can be accessed from Heath Lane but walking through the village you will see many signs indicating footpaths.

Last edited:
Here is a list of Country Parks from http://www.cheshirewestandchester.gov.uk/sport_and_leisure/countryside/country_parks.aspx

Cheshire West and Chester Council is responsible for 19 country parks, woodlands and nature reserves across West Cheshire. These areas of green space not only provide vital resources for the county's wildlife, habitats and species but also some fantastic facilities for both local residents and visitors to enjoy a range of countryside recreation opportunities such as a woodland walk or a waterside stroll.

Anderton Nature Park, Northwich
Ashton's and Neuman's Flashes, Northwich
Bowyers Waste, Oakmere
Caldy Nature Park, Chester
Helsby Quarry Local Nature Reserve
Leftwich Meadows and Dane Mead, Northwich
Little Budworth Country Park
Marbury Country Park, Northwich
Marshalls Arm Local Nature Reserve, Northwich
Northwich Woodlands
Rivacre Valley Local Nature Reserve, Ellesmere Port
Rilshaw Meadows and Ways Green, Winsford
Shakerley Mere
Stanney Woods, Ellesmere Port
The Meadows, Chester
Wades Clough, Winsford
Weaver Parkway, Winsford
Wirral Country Park
Whitegate Way

Last edited:
Gayton Sands - RSPB

Reserve on Dee Estuary
Road: B5135 to Parkgate off A540
Admission: Free
Facilities: Parking, wheelchair access, picnic area.
Telephone: 0151 336 7681
Features: Tidal mudflats and saltings. Waders and wildfowl, including Pintail (illustrated) and winter raptors. Dangerous tides.

Rostherne Mere NNR - English Nature

Largest of the Cheshire Meres.
Road: A556 to Altrincham, then turn off to Rostherne.
Facilities: No general access, but can be viewed from churchyard and surrounding lanes.
Features: Good numbers of winter duck including Mallard, Teal, Wigeon and Pintail. Winter gull roost. Terns including Black Tern on passage.

Last edited:
Danes Moss Nature Reserve.
The Moss lies to the south of Macclesfield, between the A536 and the Macclesfield - Kidsgrove railway line. The Trust nature reserve lies to the south of the footpath which runs roughly east-west across the southern end of the area.

Dunham Massey Hall.
Dunham Hall is 3 miles south west of Altrincham off the A56: Take junction 19 off the M6 or M56 exit 7.

Gayton Sands RSPB.
Parkgate
Cheshire

Hatch Mere Nature Reserve.
Hatch Mere is located to on the edge of Delamere Forest, near Norley in Vale Royal.

Lyme Park National Trust.
The entrance to Lyme Park is on the A6, 6½ miles south east of Stockport (M60 exit 1), 12 miles north west of Buxton (house and car park 1 mile from entrance)

Northwich community woodlands and Neumanns Flash.
Follow signs to Marbury Country Park from Northwich town centre, or it is a short walk from the town centre to the woodlands.

Swettenham Meadows Nature Reserve.
The reserve is on the north bank of Swettenham Brook , about 0.3 miles (0.5km) north east of Swettenham village and 2.5 miles (4km) east of Holmes Chapel.

Last edited:
Jeanie.
Rivacre Valley lnr at Ellesmere Port holds a good variety of woodland birds with the occasional 'scarece' (3 Firecrests were there for approx 2 months several years ago and I've also seen passage Crossbill and occasional Waxwing. The stream also has Grey Wagtails and Kingfisher although, sadly, bank clearance has probably runied any breeding chance this year.

The top end of the nature reserve around Hooton Church nad hte golf club gets Green Woodpecker and 'Church Wood' was a previous stronghold for Lesser -spotted Woodpecker although I haven't been up to check for a couple of years.

Hi Jeannie

There's a few articles in Opus HERE for places to visit in Cheshire.

This thread looks like it may contain some in interesting information on the area, so I'll like it to the Cheshire page.

D

EDIT: LOL Jeannie I missed your earlier post with the Opus link (not had my coffee yet!)

Anyone got a suitable view-type picture that could be added to that page to liven it up a bit?

Many thanks for putting the post on Opus. Will try and tidy up a couple of the posts and add a few more links.
Looks as if I have left it too late to edit first post so will put the links below.

Inner Marsh Farm: http://www.rspb.org.uk/reserves/guide/d/dee-innermarshfarm/index.aspx
Access is via Burton Point Farm on Station Road. From the Chester High Road (A540), follow the signs for Ness Gardens. When you get to Burton village, bear left onto Station Road until eventually you arrive at Burton Point Farm.

Marbury Country Park: http://www.cheshirewestandchester.g...yside/country_parks/marbury_country_park.aspx
Marbury Country Park and Anderton Boat Lift are signed from Northwich centre and from Junction 10 of the M56.

Moore Nature Reserve: http://www.wrg.co.uk/page.php?article=711&name=Moore+Nature+Reserve.
Moore Nature Reserve
Lapwing Lane
Moore
Nr Warrington
Cheshire

Wigg Island: http://www2.halton.gov.uk/nature/content/localnaturereserves/wiggisland/?a=5441

Last edited:
Jeanie.
Heres a good one.
Start at Dunkirk near Backford Cross (just off A5117 going west of interchange with A41 at Great Sutton). Walk down lane and follow cycle path alongside railway line (Lesser Whitethroat, Whitethroat, Yellowhammer, Bee Orchids) past Lee manor Farm (Tree Sparrow, House Sparrow @ 100+, hirundines) to you reach lane and follow that to Lee - by - Backford. Take footpath across fields on left towards Backford Church (sacrifical crop has Brambling, Reed Bunting etc in winter and Barn Owl roost in box near here). Once you hit A41 follow down hill towards canal. Take towpath and follow all the way to Stoak. Liguid lunch at Bunbury pub (and then phone wife up to come and collect me!) and then follow lane back towards Ellesmere Port turning left again onto A5117 and back towards Bridle Lane. About 10 -12 miles but a good selection of habitiats.

Many thanks for that suggested walk which contains exactly the local knowledge that I am hoping for.
It's all very well me posting long lists of places, which give people the basic idea of where to go, but they are very barren compaired to personal recommendation.
Do people from other areas of Cheshire have any recommendations?

Many thanks for putting the post on Opus. Will try and tidy up a couple of the posts and add a few more links.
Looks as if I have left it too late to edit first post so will put the links below.

Inner Marsh Farm: http://www.rspb.org.uk/reserves/guide/d/dee-innermarshfarm/index.aspx
Access is via Burton Point Farm on Station Road. From the Chester High Road (A540), follow the signs for Ness Gardens. When you get to Burton village, bear left onto Station Road until eventually you arrive at Burton Point Farm.

The new link for all parts of the RSPB Dee Estuary site is www.rspb.org.uk/deeestuary - from here you can see the blog (by staff), view photos and post them and get all th info and visiting each of the 3 principal sites (Parkgate, IMF and POA)

Also, if you already use Bird Track (www.bto.org/volunteer-surveys/birdtrack) you can submit your sightings for these sites (and any others) and they will appear on the RSPB webpages

Went to Risley Moss today. What a pleasant place and with a loo! No sign of the cranes but never the less will be going again.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back