• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What can I do with this? (1 Viewer)

helenol

Oh dear, it would have been such a great photo too.

Can anyone do something or suggest to me what I can do with this pic, to bring out the detail in the bird? The only thing I've done is lighten it slightly and reduce the size for the internet.

ExposureTime : 1/500Sec
FNumber : F5.6
ExposureProgram : Program Creative
ISOSpeedRatings : 50

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• critique.jpg
    critique.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 270
A difficult one Helen, especially with just the adjusted / resized image.

It may be worth reducing contrast slightly, boosting colour saturation, and reducing CA and then using unsharp mask.

If it grass in the mouth wasn't such a fiddly shape then you could use a magic wand tool to just work on the bird to lighten / enhance and then darken the sky.

Perhaps someone else can do more with it.

Attachments

• critiqueaa.jpg
    critiqueaa.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 185
helenol said:

Can anyone do something or suggest to me what I can do with this pic, to bring out the detail in the bird? The only thing I've done is lighten it slightly and reduce the size for the internet.

ExposureTime : 1/500Sec
FNumber : F5.6
ExposureProgram : Program Creative
ISOSpeedRatings : 50

Thanks in advance.
There doesn't seem to be much detail in the dark areas, I have adjusted the contrast and levels slightly plus sharpened a little. Prehaps someone with more experience can do better.
Bob

Attachments

• sparrow.jpg
    sparrow.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 203
Thanks to you all for the advice. The pic will be consigned to the bin, but I have posted a better one in the gallery.

Thanks again.

Helen,

Don't know what software your using, but for example in Photoshop Elements, if you go to Enhance>Adjust Color>Color variations. if you then reduce the blue slightly, it will warm the picture up and bring a little more detail out of the fethers.

Gary

BrianB said:
Had a play with Brightness/Contrast and Hue/Saturation on selections using the Magic Wand tool. Would probably be better on the original as you should have more pixels to play with.
You have made a very good job of this photo,Brian,looks okay now.Helen it is the content which is important,and now with Brian,s fixing, it looks okay.:clap:

helenol said:

Can anyone do something or suggest to me what I can do with this pic, ....

Don't know if this is any better than previous versions, butit's difficult to improve an already degraded internet image. Still you've got a bit more detail AND the bluish sky back.

(Adobe Photoshop 7 - unsharp mask, increased brightness (sky now white), minimal increase in contrast (3%), Mid range Reds lifted small amount, Colour Range select for white sky mask then hand brushed with bluish fill, parapit nudged up a fraction to cover laziness when painting in sky. Whole pic crpped to improve framing.)

Attachments

• Helens Sparrow.jpg
    Helens Sparrow.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 159
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back