• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Winter in Florida (1 Viewer)

erizzo

Like I didn't get many answers in my last thread I desided to put up another one.
Umm... This Dicember I'm going to florida and also to some hotspots (Merrit, Corkscrew, Sanibel) and I was wondering if anybody could tell me what I could expext to see or what to look for and where that time of year or maybe some other hotspots there close, but not so far as the keys or something like that.
Thank you

Erik

Lots of nice places to go, depending on where you are staying. You seem to be cutting a diagonal across the state!

Try this site

http://floridabirdingtrail.com/

You can collect the site guides from a number of reserves and parks when you get there.

If you can get to it without diverting too much from your route, then Joe Overstreet Landing Road which goes down to lake Kissimmee is a splendid place to bird.

Erizzo, the link David has given you should give you all the information you need.

No matter where you go, birding in Florida should give you birds about any day you are there.

Enrizzo,
From your suggested path, there are two "must see's" near Tampa. The first is Ding Darling on Sanibel and the second is the Heron Rookery in Venice (although this site is better in Spring when birds are breeding). December is probably one of the best months for birding in Florida as all the winter migrants are there, the temperatures are cooler (can still be quite warm though), and the bugs are much less of a problem.

There is another thread on this subject at this link: Florida Info

For a Florida birdlist, you can download one from Avibase at the following web link: Florida Checklist

For checklists for specific sites, a web search should turn up some for all the major sites.

Good luck,

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back