• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

homeless acorn woodpeckers (1 Viewer)

athena

Hi everyone,
I am new here and have a question.

The people behind me are cutting down a huge dead pine tree
where acorn woodpeckers live. I have lived here since 1981 and
the woodpeckers lived in that tree long before i lived here.

I hope they can make a new home home somewhere. There are
at least 12 holes in that tree where they live.

Is there anything I can do in my yard to help them? I am going
to ask the people, that cut the tree, to save me the parts of the
tree where their holes are. I hope I'm here the day they cut that
tree down.

This is very sad for me, I have watched them from my deck for
over 20 years now.

Hi athena and welcome to Birdforum from the Moderators and Staff.
Very sorry to hear about the tree problem,hopefully someone will be able to offer some practical advice for you.

That's a real shame athena. Hope you can do something to replace the tree - not sure if they use boxes - I just don't get why would they want to cut the tree down in the first place.

Luke

Hi athena and welcome. I'm so sorry for you and the woodpeckers. They won't use nest boxes. Are the ones cutting down the tree at least aware of the fact that there are woodpeckers nesting in the tree? Perhaps if they could hold off for awhile until all rearing is over and one with. No harm in asking right? Keep us posted please.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back