• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Monopod with IS ? (1 Viewer)

RoyH

Hi all
Yesterday I took delivery of my new Canon 10D/Canon 100 - 400L USM IS lens. After reading the lens instruction leaflet,they advise not to use IS with a tripod. Can any member advise if it would be ok to use a monopod to take the weight of this wonderful piece of kit with the IS enabled.

Regards,

Roy.

Congratulations, Roy. I just know you're going to enjoy this set-up. Yeah, few people seem to realise this when purchasing a Canon I.S. lens, I think the only lens they don't mention this with is the 600mm I.S. (Which is just as well at that weight). I know plenty do have I.S. enabled when using a tripod without any damage done. I'm not sure it matters whether monopod or tripod, the I.S. system just doesn't like a solid platform underneath and just may de damaged.
regards,
Andy

Andy Bright said:
Congratulations, Roy. I just know you're going to enjoy this set-up. Yeah, few people seem to realise this when purchasing a Canon I.S. lens, I think the only lens they don't mention this with is the 600mm I.S. (Which is just as well at that weight). I know plenty do have I.S. enabled when using a tripod without any damage done. I'm not sure it matters whether monopod or tripod, the I.S. system just doesn't like a solid platform underneath and just may de damaged.
regards,
Andy

Hi Andy,
Thank you for your reply and comments, I have made a portable hide for garden use, since asking the question re: IS/monopod I have found that I can now rest the lens as it pokes through the hole in the net so this is now taking the weight until I take my next shot. Going out there again this afternoon, not got down to any serious shots yet but I am well pleased with the tests so far. I only got the camera yesterday but it seems like a dream to use. I am well pleased I spent the extra on the 10D instead of the 300D. Hope your keeping well, all is fine here.

Regards,

Roy.

Thanks very much for that info Andy. I have only used my lens twice with a monopod. I will certainly turn the IS off in future.

Roy. Good luck with your set up. It is a super piece of kit. I am still learning and experimenting with all the different settings on mine. Cheers John.

John N said:
Thanks very much for that info Andy. I have only used my lens twice with a monopod. I will certainly turn the IS off in future.

Roy. Good luck with your set up. It is a super piece of kit. I am still learning and experimenting with all the different settings on mine. Cheers John.

Hello John,
Yes that was useful info from Andy but I managed to hold the rig steady without using the monopod but I wanted expert advice first. I took a few shots in the garden this afternoon but the light was poor I had to increase the ISO to 400 and this only gave me 1/125. I have attached this image of one of our daily vistors.

Regards,
Roy.

Attachments

• IMG_0026 GSWoodpecker - juv.jpg
    IMG_0026 GSWoodpecker - juv.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 266
Excuse my ignorance but how could a tripod damage the IS, surely it would only "think" that you have very steady hands, confused.

Mick

The August issue of Popular Photography has a sidebar about this tripod/IS question and indeed, Canon and other manufacturers advise turning IS OFF when you use a tripod. However, I would like to mention that a monopod isn't even CLOSE to being as steady as a tripod, regardless how expert you are at using it, and I doubt very much if the steadiness achieved with a monopod could cause the problems associated with a tripod. I think you should turn IS ON when using a monopod.

BrianB said:
Confused me as well Mick. After a lot of searching I found this page which helps to explain the problem, though it does say that you won't damage the lens even if it is left on. It is more likely to give you a less sharp image.

Thanks for that, cleared up a mystery for me, I got interested because someone posted an idea elswhere about using IS with a cheap and therefor much lighter tripod.

Mick

Using IS with the monopod or the tripod is not going to damage your lens.

With the monopod you have a degree of movement that the IS will counter for you and help give you sharp shots.

On a tripod the lens is theoretically still, so leaving IS switched on is likely to make the lens a bit confused and it may become "unsharp" for that reason as it is looking to adjust movement which is not there. It won't kill your lens but Canon recommend switching it off for that specific reason.

There is a big article somewhere confirming this by one on Canon USA's product experts.

TwoBoy, thank you for your comments, I have tested the monopod with IS but what I really need is to fit something like the Manfrotto Pro Ball because I found the pod was difficult to use for angled shots but I have used it in my home made garden hide and it worked fine. Thank you also for your comments re: 100-400L USM IS lens, I have had my 10D + 100-400 just over two months and it works great.
Roy.

The easy solution would be to use the IS in mode 2 when using a monopod. It's exceedingly doubtful that using IS with a tripod could damage the IS. It may well confuse it at a cost to image quality though. I've used IS on tripods when conditions have been adverse and it really helps.

Lee.

10d + 100~400

RoyH said:
TwoBoy, thank you for your comments, I have tested the monopod with IS but what I really need is to fit something like the Manfrotto Pro Ball because I found the pod was difficult to use for angled shots but I have used it in my home made garden hide and it worked fine. Thank you also for your comments re: 100-400L USM IS lens, I have had my 10D + 100-400 just over two months and it works great.
Roy.

I have just got a canvas print back for framing - its of a Grey Heron and I've had it blown up to a 50 x 37,5cm. I can honestly say that the result is absolutely sharp. These canvas prints really work great with bird or game shots - you should try a few - super stuff. Get it done with the direct print onto canvas - not where they stick it on as an afterthought. Ask to see the samples first. It costs about GBP20 in South Africa for this size.

Enjoy your lens and 10D, I have also got a 20D to go with the 10D but no ways do I sell the 10D after the service it has given me.

One one score I have made a boo-boo. I bought a 28~300 L IS USM and would have been better off with the 28~70 and 70~200 L's at a couple of hundred more - they are definitely better than trying to cram everything into one lens.

Cheers

Doug

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back