• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Will we ever compete with the Scots! (1 Viewer)

JSER

Sorry, but, for a few years I lived in Invergordon, with my three sons all teenagers, we are all into photography, and, what I liked most about Scotland was ther attention paid to the AmCam people.

There are so many SSPB sites (I am NO bird watcher, sorry) that have a car park, cafe, hides and spead many acres, also have facilities for disabled, in fact one just two miles from Invergordon is amazing.

Is there no where in Devon or Cornwall where it is more than just a muddy bog or field, sorry, no insult to proper bird watchers intended, but whilst I am happy to tramp over fields I would like to arrive somewhere and "SEE" something.

Thank you

Try Dawlish Warren, or the RSPB reserve at Bowling Green Marsh, Topsham.
Or Slapton Ley in SE Devon.
Sorry, I know these are some way from Tavistock.

Berry Head is good to bird with a café and info center.
Though avoid the holidays.
My sister lives in Bovey Tracey and there are some excellent woods, start with a Y, close to there with loads of Pied Flycatcher nest boxes.

Last edited:
I'm afraid we are the UK's poor relations here in the SW, no big fancy reserves for us. The closest RSPB reserve with anything like the full monty is Radipole in Dorset, and you'll find that pretty small.. The only really big all-singing day out anywhere near here is Slimbridge WWT, up the M5 past Bristol. To be fair, its worth the trip, especially in winter.

Our smaller-scale affairs also include Roadford Reservoir, which has parking and a cafe, mostly decent paths, a couple of hides and in winter some good waterbirds. The Axe Estuary has been done up a lot - new hides, new marshes, though it's a bugger to get to from your side of Devon. If you look west, Cornwall has some nice spots - joining CBWPS gives you access to the excellent Walmsley Sanctuary, for example. If you want something nice to photograph with interesting light and don't want to go to Dartmoor [though I can't think why], try walking the Coast Path - there's so much its difficult to pick out one or two bits to recommend, and at this time of year almost anywhere will give you a shot at some nice birds and marine life.

Thank you to all of you, the time taken to reply to my question has been much appreciated, my son has printed them all off and we will visit every one, he is off college till September so tent in car, cameras off we go.

Oh and Radipole, I went to Weymouth every year for twelve years and saw it before, during and after it was built, it is a good place, thanks for the reminder, as for Roadford Reservoir, we often need reminding just what is on our own doorstep, thanks again.

I get quite depressed about that too. Also the lack of normal public parks with big lakes that are stuffed full with grebes and all sorts of ultra-rare (for down here) tame ducks too that you see in the east of the country.

It's wild down here but it has a distinct lack of places you can guarantee or almost guarantee to get really close to wildlife.

I'm a non telescope owner because i never feel satisfied just identifying something from half a mile away. I want to actually watch animals.

Sorry, but, for a few years I lived in Invergordon, with my three sons all teenagers, we are all into photography, and, what I liked most about Scotland was ther attention paid to the AmCam people.

There are so many SSPB sites (I am NO bird watcher, sorry) that have a car park, cafe, hides and spead many acres, also have facilities for disabled, in fact one just two miles from Invergordon is amazing.

Is there no where in Devon or Cornwall where it is more than just a muddy bog or field, sorry, no insult to proper bird watchers intended, but whilst I am happy to tramp over fields I would like to arrive somewhere and "SEE" something.

Thank you

Thank you

Which sites would you recommend near Invergordon?

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back