• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A couple of butterflies for ID (1 Viewer)

M Cowming

Ireland
Hi,

Taken in Germany in the last week. Any ideas on what they are? Photos 2 and 3 are of the same butterfly although the underside shot is not as clear as it could be. The first two species were quite small.
Look forward to your ID's.

Regards,

Last edited:
Hi M,
The first one looks like Lycaena phlaeas,
the last one is the summer form of Arachnia levana,
the blue on the blackberry flowers is Holly blue Celastrina argiolus.

the moth thingy I don´t know

Jörn

Thanks guys...just for clarification...is the Common Heath a butterfly or moth, I presume by the name it is the former??
The antennae were moth like but in flight it was more butterfly like.
Thanks again

M Cowming said:
Thanks guys...just for clarification...is the Common Heath a butterfly or moth, I presume by the name it is the former??
The antennae were moth like but in flight it was more butterfly like.
Thanks again

Hello,
The Common Heath is a moth as is the Latticed Heath. It does get a little confusing as there are several 'Heath' butterflies as well.

Harry

I think the fifth is a second brood map butterfly (Joern used the scientific name) rather than a white admiral. The first is a copper, if it was taken in britain it would be a small copper but not sure about on the continent. Perhaps Harry could confirm?

James Lowther said:
I think the fifth is a second brood map butterfly (Joern used the scientific name) rather than a white admiral. The first is a copper, if it was taken in britain it would be a small copper but not sure about on the continent. Perhaps Harry could confirm?

Hello James,
The Copper butterfly certainly looks like the British Small Copper, but you have to be a little more careful when it comes to European Coppers as there are a lot more species. In addition to the Coppers there are also a couple of Hairstreaks with copper coloured forewings. The chances are though it is L phlaeas, The Small Copper.

Harry.

Apologies, the fifth is NOT a White Admiral. I don't know why I said it was, maybe I just had a casual look at the thumbnail. Doh!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back