• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Short-toed eagles near Kalkan (1 Viewer)

Simon Elliott

Just in case anybody is planning a holiday in Kalkan, I found a great spot for raptor watching less than 15 minutes by car from the town (1-15 June).

From Kalkan I took the Elmali road inland. The road passes through some tight bends then gradually climbs to the highest point where you can see some prominent reception poles on hilltops to the left. Just over the top of the hill on the left hand side is a road-side drinking fountain overlooking a verdant valley. There are several trees around the fountain and a convenient bench overlooking the valley. There were 6 hunting short-toed eagles on one occassion, together with 6 raven and another unidentified smaller eagle, mainly looking back across the valley to the hills on the left. Across the road were two peregrine and further down a kestrel. The birds were all present when I revisited the site several times during the holiday.

The birding was generally very enjoyable, with lots of new species for me. However, the highlight was the eagles without having to travel far in the heat from the resort.

Simon

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back