• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Problem With Mailwasher (1 Viewer)

POP

Can anyone help please with a problem I am having with MailWasher.It was working fine now it has gone all pear shaped.
Every time it searches for mail an error message comes up stating that:- "No such host ensure that the POP3 server is correct."
I have checked and double checked my server details and they are correct.Any help in solving this would be most appreciated.I also have AVG and Zone Alarm,these have not affected it in the past.

John

But nothing has changed, John, so I can't see why ZoneAlarm should be a problem. If you have Windows XP, use "System Restore" to return your computer back to a time when all was well (you don't lose any documents when you do this, so have no fear - it's a truly excellent tool).

Alternatively, reinstall MailWasher - that usually works.

PS If you're with ntl, they have had several email problems recently and I've had rather similar issues, but not with my spam software. They seem to have resolved themselves today.

Andy.I think i will have to sleep on it,I have tried all the things you suggested also uninstalled and reinstalled and still have the same problem.I have Emailed Firefox for any ideas,it just seems strange that it says there is no such host.All my POP3 settings are there and are correct.The problem seems to just have come out of blue. ( Steve not sure quite which day it went pear shaped so am reluctant to use "sytem restore").

John

You should just try any of the days that are in bold in the System Restore calender boxes - if I don't know the date, I always choose the earliest available, although occasionally, despite being in bold, it won't allow a restore to be done and you have to choose another nearer date.

It is a 100% foolproof option, John - and if, for reasons I can't imagine, you'd prefer to return to the previous faulty state, you can then "fast forward" again to how it was with the problem.

A few might rail against Bill Gates, but with WinXP he has managed to come up with something pretty worthwhile and, with System restore, pretty darn foolproof. With two teenage sons, I have used System Restore enough times over the past three years or so to heap worthy praise upon it. When I think of the number of reinstalls I have performed over the years with other versions of Windows, XP is a godsend.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. SR is, after all, one major reason for owning WinXP!

Last edited:
Hi John,

A few suggestions to troubleshoot this problem. Try them one at a time.

Disable the email safe scanning feature in Zonealarm. Check. Re-enable if no help.

Turn off your antivirus. Check. Re-enable if no help.

In Mailwasher > Tools > Options > General tab > Uncheck the "Perform default mail check on startup" option. Check manually.

Have you installed any updates - Windows - antivirus - Zonealarm....in the last day or two?

(Steve - System Restore - 100% foolproof - it ain't!)

Andy.

Andrew Rowlands said:

Andy.
Experience has shown me it is a superb aspect of WinXP that saves the day for most folk most of the time. By "foolproof", I mean that it causes no harm. For me, I have had 100% success - only last week it saved me two journeys to fix friend's machines and resulted in a gasp of amazement how easy it was to solve seemingly intractable problems.

In the good old bad old days of Win 3.0, 3.1, 3.11, 85, 98 and Me, I've had to reinstall the OS too many times over the years, but hardly ever with WinXP. I used to use GoBack - not bad, but System Restore is superior.

Last edited:
scampo said:
Experience has shown me it is a superb aspect of WinXP that saves the day for most folk most of the time. By "foolproof", I mean that it causes no harm. For me, I have had 100% success - only last week it saved me two journeys to fix friend's machines and resulted in a gasp of amazement how easy it was to solve seemingly intractable problems.

In the good old bad old days of Win 3.0, 3.1, 3.11, 85, 98 and Me, I've had to reinstall the OS too many times over the years, but hardly ever with WinXP. I used to use GoBack - not bad, but System Restore is superior.

Fine Steve,

I prefer my clients and friends to learn from their mistakes. I/we don't reinstall or use System Restore unless absolutely necessary; I've watched it fail several times. When it comes to cleaning an infected system it is the first thing to turn off. I've heard a couple of gasps of amazement over the 'phone this afternoon - from users of machines that could NOT have been fixed by System Restore, even though they were both using fully updated XP machines.

Andy.

If only people would learn, Andy, but PCs are geared to prevent this otherwise useful life skill. It is impossible to "learn" what is really going on, in truth, as so many problems occur without any obvious or memorable cause.

My nephew's machine currently has one of the lateset Coolsearch infections that presently seems irremovable. He doesn't have System Restore so it's defeated me so far - and I've tried everything I know and that is easily available.

Andy Steve again thank you,I will try your suggestions Andy have Emaile dmail Washer and they have asked me to send a bug_ text file which I have done.Will keep you both posted.

John

Andrew Rowlands said:
Hi John,

A few suggestions to troubleshoot this problem. Try them one at a time.

Disable the email safe scanning feature in Zonealarm. Check. Re-enable if no help.

Turn off your antivirus. Check. Re-enable if no help.

In Mailwasher > Tools > Options > General tab > Uncheck the "Perform default mail check on startup" option. Check manually.

Have you installed any updates - Windows - antivirus - Zonealarm....in the last day or two?

Andy.

Andy ran all through the checks no good unfortunatley,in the last week updated Mail washer to 4.1.7.5. probably updated AVG and Zone Alarm also over a week ago large update on Windows XP.Await result of my Email to Firetrust.

John

scampo said:
If only people would learn, Andy, but PCs are geared to prevent this otherwise useful life skill. It is impossible to "learn" what is really going on, in truth, as so many problems occur without any obvious or memorable cause.

My nephew's machine currently has one of the lateset Coolsearch infections that presently seems irremovable. He doesn't have System Restore so it's defeated me so far - and I've tried everything I know and that is easily available.

Steve,

PM me on your nephews prob., I'll see what I can dig up...

John,

I'd like to see the bug_ text file too - copy it to your desktop, rename it to bug.jpg and post it as an attachment.

Andy.

Andrew Rowlands said:
Steve,

John,

I'd like to see the bug_ text file too - copy it to your desktop, rename it to bug.jpg and post it as an attachment.

Andy dont seem to be able to attach from desktop to you.

John

jthatch555 said:
Andrew Rowlands said:
Steve,

John,

Andy dont seem to be able to attach from desktop to you.

John

Hi John.

If you hit the reply button, bottom right of a post then scroll down to Additional Options - click on Manage Attachments - then on Browse to get the file - once the filename is in the box click Upload - the transfer to the BF server may take a minute or so - and wait for it to appear below. You can then post it.

I see you can post .txt files so you shouldn't need to rename it.

Andy.

jthatch555 said:
I see you can post .txt files so you shouldn't need to rename it.

Andy try this.

John

Hey John,

You ought to edit or delete your last post; I've had a skim through and it shows your email address - maybe more stuff I haven't noticed too....

Andy.

Andrew Rowlands said:
Hey John,

You ought to edit or delete your last post; I've had a skim through and it shows your email address - maybe more stuff I haven't noticed too....

Andy.

Andy and Steve thank you

PROBLEM NOW SOLVED

John

scampo said:
In the good old bad old days of Win 3.0, 3.1, 3.11, 85, 98 and Me..........
Steve,
Have you never tried good old DOS (without the supposed benefit of GUI) ? You just do not know what fun you have missed - I did some DOS application development a few years ago (departmental-specific applications) prior to the advent of Windows, with the main problem being the 'users'!

Roger

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back