• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Extremely prominent optics man at Birdfair (1 Viewer)

Andy Bright

Administrator
Staff member
England
In the course of conversations with Zeiss U.K. over when I'll be doing the digiscoping sessions on their stand, I was informed that I will be with illustrious company :eek!: ... to say his name has been mentioned a few times in our binos/scopes forums would be an understatement!
Any guesses? ;)

Ok I'll go with Steve Ingraham.

It would be interesting to hear a discussion between him and Kimmo Absetz

Doh! Just realised it's the other expensive optics firm that's not Swarovski. Can't think of the name!!!!

Andrew said:
Doh! Just realised it's the other expensive optics firm that's not Swarovski. Can't think of the name!!!!

Zeiss, Nikon, Leica and who was that? Overpricedski?

I will be looking forward to meeting mr BVD himself on the Zeiss stand. I'm sure he will be a popular figure and the very best person to ask for advise on binoculars and scopes.
Wine Man

Wine Man said:
I will be looking forward to meeting mr BVD himself on the Zeiss stand. I'm sure he will be a popular figure and the very best person to ask for advise on binoculars and scopes.
Wine Man

Steve now works for Zeiss. I doubt we'll see any more objective reviews of bins and scopes from him. I think Henry's comprehensive review of the FL is about as close as we'll get to a serious review.

John

Andy Bright said:
One of you is very hot (positively boiling) whilst someone in the southwest has frostbite ;)

so do I win some nice new shiny FLs? I think I already know the answer to that one!!

John Traynor said:
Steve now works for Zeiss. I doubt we'll see any more objective reviews of bins and scopes from him. I think Henry's comprehensive review of the FL is about as close as we'll get to a serious review.

John

If you knew Steve, you would not be saying this. He has extremely strong moral beliefs and WILL give his true opinions, in some ways he could be a loose cannon for Zeiss.
As for binocular reviews, Henry's was a good review but I would still wait for some of the serious reviewers from Europe and notably those where a panel of testers is used.

Sandy

Sandy Martin said:
If you knew Steve, you would not be saying this. He has extremely strong moral beliefs and WILL give his true opinions, in some ways he could be a loose cannon for Zeiss.
As for binocular reviews, Henry's was a good review but I would still wait for some of the serious reviewers from Europe and notably those where a panel of testers is used.

Sandy

Please read the second sentence in the second paragraph
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...w=ZE7X42FL&is=USA&Q=&O=productlist&sku=328255

That's someone's description of a bin I can now assume, based on 2 independent reviews, is not sharp across the entire field. In fact, according to one reviewer, the little SE is better in this regard. Read that glowing sales description and you'd think it was absolutely PERFECT.

I would never challenge the morals of someone I don't know. I do know that Steve works for Zeiss and that he's probably signed a personal service contract limiting what he can and cannot say about competitor's products. Suppose Nikon markets a bin that is better than the FL. Do you really believe, as an employee of Zeiss, Steve would jump up and say it's his number one recommendation?

Steve recommended the SE to me via BVD and he was dead on with his evaluation. I'll always be thankful to him because the SE 8X32 has given me a lot of enjoyment. However, the SE isn't suited to all conditions and that's why I'm interested in finding a bin that's optically as good as the SE and fully weatherproof.

I value independent evaluations and was especially impressed with Henry's candid review. Owners are generally biased and, as a result, often omit negative criticism in their reviews. Henry didn't do this and I compliment him for it.

John

John Traynor said:
Please read the second sentence in the second paragraph
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...w=ZE7X42FL&is=USA&Q=&O=productlist&sku=328255

That's someone's description of a bin I can now assume, based on 2 independent reviews, is not sharp across the entire field. In fact, according to one reviewer, the little SE is better in this regard. Read that glowing sales description and you'd think it was absolutely PERFECT.

I'm sorry but I cannot see how this is relevant to anything on this thread? To my mind it is nothing other than typical N. American over-the-top sales talk, the only person responsible for that is some overpaid advertising man who has never even looked through the product.

As for Steve Ingraham's position at Zeiss, I was under the impression it was strictly in a consultative manner and that it wouldn't restrict him from expressing his own opinions, although stepping down from BVD. In many cases this 'independance' could be taken with a pinch of salt but with someone like Steve it is genuine and deeply seated in his character. That is why I say it could be a risky business for Zeiss to have him 'on their books', so to speak.

As for reviewing, panel testing with experienced birders is still the best way. Yes, brand loyalty does effect a number of birders but this is usually of minimal impact with a good team and an impartial compiler.

Sandy

Sandy Martin said:
I'm sorry but I cannot see how this is relevant to anything on this thread? To my mind it is nothing other than typical N. American over-the-top sales talk, the only person responsible for that is some overpaid advertising man who has never even looked through the product.

As for Steve Ingraham's position at Zeiss, I was under the impression it was strictly in a consultative manner and that it wouldn't restrict him from expressing his own opinions, although stepping down from BVD. In many cases this 'independance' could be taken with a pinch of salt but with someone like Steve it is genuine and deeply seated in his character. That is why I say it could be a risky business for Zeiss to have him 'on their books', so to speak.

As for reviewing, panel testing with experienced birders is still the best way. Yes, brand loyalty does effect a number of birders but this is usually of minimal impact with a good team and an impartial compiler.

Sandy

Sandy,

The point was simple and you got it. You didn't value that piece of promotion yet, I assume from your remarks, you'd put great stock in Steve's BVD evaluations. I think Zeiss was very smart to hire Steve and I think one of the reasons for doing so is obvious. No BVD, no more criticism of Zeiss' products. The problem to the consumer is that we have lost Steve's independent binocular evaluations and that is unfortunate. I do wish Steve well and think he was smart to join the Zeiss team.

John

John Traynor said:
Sandy,

The point was simple and you got it. You didn't value that piece of promotion yet, I assume from your remarks, you'd put great stock in Steve's BVD evaluations. I think Zeiss was very smart to hire Steve and I think one of the reasons for doing so is obvious. No BVD, no more criticism of Zeiss' products. The problem to the consumer is that we have lost Steve's independent binocular evaluations and that is unfortunate. I do wish Steve well and think he was smart to join the Zeiss team.

John

Hi,

I think Zeiss just copied Swarovski and later Leica strategy of contacting people with influence in the birding community.

BTW: Is there somebody on the bird fair to talk with Steve Ingraham about his collected errors and mistakens ;)?

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back