• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bearded Tits at Stodmarsh? (1 Viewer)

mikenott

Flawed but improving!
England
One of my ambitions is to take some good pictures of Bearded Tits (Canon 500 + 1.4 +EOS7D so some reach available) and Stodmarsh has come up repeatedly in my research as a top location. Or at least it was until 4-5 years ago when all references seem to stop.

Are there still Bearded Tits at Stodmarsh or has something happened? Are they still theer in numbers or not? If they are, any hot spots for phtography opportunities? It's a long trek from Hemel Hempstead to Stodmarsh, so hoping someone on here can give me some indication or help?

Many Thanks,

Michael.

HI Andy - thanks for the reply. To be honest, not having had any replies I only checked again today after being away with work for a couple of weeks. Will go through the site you listed.

Michael.

Ive got some brilliant photos at Rainham RSPB, right next to the QE2 bridge. There is a very obliging family in the south-west reedbed.

Some recent very good pics were taken at Oare Marshes, If they are present this would generally offer better photo opportunities than other sites because of proximity. Some patience on the eastern side of the reserve may be called for but I would recommend this above the more traditional sites at present. Numbers have certainly declined in East Kent in recent years - ten years ago I could have offered you certainties, today I can't. Good luck in your quest.

As Ben said above I'd say Rainham Marshes was your best bet and its a lot closer than Stodmarsh. Check out their page on the RSPB website. They have regular updates as to when the Bearded Tits are around. In fact they seem to have been there all winter so far.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back