• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help with chipmunk ID (1 Viewer)

Joern Lehmhus

Hi all,
2 weeks ago I saw a chipmunk in Wuppertal, Northrhine-Westphalia, western Germany, which was not the species Tamias (or Eutamias) sibiricus, the Siberian Chipmunk (this one has build up populations in Urban-suburban areas in some german cities). Whereas T. sibiricus has a back pattern of black and white stripes along its back, this chipmung has a greyisch brown back with a not very clear, slightly darker stripe in the middle and a white stripe on the upper flank at each side surrounded by black stripes.
A search in the web suggests that this may have been an Eastern chipmunk (Eutamias striatus) from North America. This is not totally unlikely as several pet shops in Germany now offer another NA rodent (Prairie dogs!) as pets(Well, I think that´s crazy-they are no pets).
But the photos I saw in the web don´t let me feel 100% happy as the back was not too well visible.
Can anybody shed light on this , or has a photograph of an Eastern Chipmunk`s back?

Many thanks!

Joern

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back