• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vortex Vulture 8x56 HD (1 Viewer)

Chesbay5

Boardlurker here, thanks for all the information. I am finding no feedback to speak of on this line of binoculars. It looks like the Hawke Prostalk 8x56 ED in different clothes. I am not worried about its size or weight so much as issue with optical performance. I like the large objectives and it is within my budget. Also, some retail sites make no mention of HD (ED?) glass on their Vulture 8x56, perhaps there is an older non-HD model as well.

Vortex 6.5x32- delivery tomorrow
Hunter 10x50 purchased in Borneo
Celestron Outland 8x25

If I remember correctly there was a non-ED Vulture. I haven't surfed through the Vortex site in awhile so maybe one of the others can shed more light on the issue.

The old non-HD Vultures bear a very close resemblance to the existing Diamondback range.

The new HD versions (8x56 & 10x56) are a completely remade version for 2011.

HTH
Dave.

http://www.allbinos.com/226-binoculars_review-Vortex_Vulture_HD_8x56.html

8x56 review, but I'd like to see some 10x56 Vulter reviews. 400 clams starting out of the gate isn't a bad price.

That seems to be about what the Vanguard line is running.

As well the HD Viper in 10x50/28.4oz is 1.5X the price of a HD Vulture 10x56/39.2oz, yet Vortex lists both as HD, XR, ArmorTek w/XR Fully multi-coated.

However, I can't say how the Viper HD stacks up against the Vulture HD side by side. I could live w/10.8 extra oz if the optics compare favorably. When I find the 10x56 running for three bills I'll buy.

ETA: Allbinos rates a higher transmission on the 10x42 Viper than the 8x56 HD Vulture. They weren't impressed w/Razor over the Viper though in both counts from 2010 were XD and not the new HD. Granted, the Viper line isn't designed for astronomy, but its strength against other Vortex models speaks well of its ability.

Still, the lingering thought of the 10x50 Viper against the less expensive 10x56 Vulture looms large.

Last edited:
I fear the Vulture HD is nothing more than a Diamondback optically. The 56mm objective does little in adding light if it cannot produce clear images of starts w/o spikes as my Vipers will.

Could be a random sample that wasn't up to snuff or could point to a logical reasoning for the 1.5X extra cost of the Viper w/50mm.

The reviewed Vulture w/narrower FOV than listed and almost 1MM less objective size isn't a big deal, yet transmission and resolution certainly is paramount. What little I've read in other binocular reviews seemingly points to better optics in the 8x vs. 10x version as a rule. Maybe the 2X increased magnification w/same size objectives is the basic contributing factor.

The lure for me isn't another 1.5x magnification as much as the combination of that w/larger 56mm objectives. I can't say that I'd buy another Viper in 10x50 and I still hope a review of the 10x56 Vulture will show a sharp center view.

With only the allbinos review of the 8x56 to go on I'd be hard pressed to drop three bills if I can't use it in a dual role of casual star gazing.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back