• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Scillonian Pelagic - Latest (1 Viewer)

Darrell Clegg

Latest weather forecast for Sunday:

Rain
Light SE winds

Max temp 18 degrees

visibility poor

Sounds like a normal Scillonian trip to me ;)

Darrell

So who`s hoping that the Fea`s Petrel which flew south past Sennen this morning, will cross the Scillonian III`s wake on Sunday? ;)

I was wondering if the popularity of this Pelagic is on the wane. I noticed on the pager that tickets are still available. I haven't been on it for a couple of years but those times I have been on it you had to get your application for tickets in early or wait to see if there were last minute cancellations.

I'm not sure how good it will be this weekend as the weather reports are looking mighty ominous. According to the weather reports just given on TV there appears to be a severe band of weather coming up from the south west. If that is so this might be a Pelagic to forget.

I would love to have gone but after purchasing my new scope I couldn't justify the £85 cost of a ticket.

Darrell Clegg said:
Update:

Heavy Rain forecast and strengthening SE winds

- might not need to bring any chum!!!

Darrell

More to the point, you will be bringing your own --- from the depths of your stomach. LOL

Some of you guys might get a Sharp-tailed to boot if it gets refound! It showed when we we half way back home to Devon last night. Arrrgh!!!

Very latest:

Sea area Sole

SOUTHERLY VEERING WESTERLY 6 TO GALE 8, OCCASIONALLY SEVERE GALE 9. RAIN THEN SHOWERS. MODERATE WITH FOG PATCHES BECOMING GOOD

This is getting mighty close to cancellation stage - passengers are not normally allowed on deck in such conditions - and what good is a pelagic if you can't see the birds?

I still have to turn up though - I've got the DMS!

Darrell

Use of DMS

Hi Darrell

Just a quick one, i have been looking into the effects that DMS is having on birds and i have been on the pelagic and seen how much is used. If you must use it (which i doubt) can you please make sure it is used in the correct concentration and not just poured into the sea and the chum bucket. 1 ml to 1 litre is enough. I have chummed on the pelagic and now regret using DMS, as i have seen it just being poured from the bottle into the sea, where tube nosed birds are feeding. Do we need to cause birds to die because of our own self gain.

Cheers hope its not to lumpy
Chris

Darrell Clegg said:
Very latest:

Sea area Sole

SOUTHERLY VEERING WESTERLY 6 TO GALE 8, OCCASIONALLY SEVERE GALE 9. RAIN THEN SHOWERS. MODERATE WITH FOG PATCHES BECOMING GOOD

This is getting mighty close to cancellation stage - passengers are not normally allowed on deck in such conditions - and what good is a pelagic if you can't see the birds?

I still have to turn up though - I've got the DMS!

Darrell

I wasn't aware that it is "potentially lethal", especially when used in the right concentrations. It's a naturally-occurring by-product of rotting vegetation.
Isn't this just scare-mongering?

A transatlantic rowing attempt broke up in half off the coast and has to be rescued (of course!) so they are having a nice bit of weather on the Scillonain (if it sailed).

correct ussage

DMS used in the right concentrations as said above does not seem to be harmful but when it used in the wrong concentratration as i a have seen on the pelagic trips it can not be good. I have been told that DMS can be carcinogenic (I can not Confirm this) in very high concentrations.
If you have ever smelt DMS it is very potent stuff to us so what effect does it have on these tube nosed birds that rely on there noses to find food.
I am just a concerned person who thinks that using chemicals that we have no full understanding about (other than some birds have been found dead in the area of High concentrations of chemicals such as DMS), should we use them for our own gain just for a year tick.
Birds are here to be enjoyed, I feel the same for trampling of vegetation in Cornwall and Silly just to get 2 metres closer to a bird and scare it off.
This is just my thoughts i know not all people think the same as me, Ijust try to think about it from the birds point of view.

Chris

CJW said:
I wasn't aware that it is "potentially lethal", especially when used in the right concentrations. It's a naturally-occurring by-product of rotting vegetation.
Isn't this just scare-mongering?

As a research biochemist I might be able to answer this one!

DMS is a chemical called dimethyl sulphide. It is a liquid with an extremely unpleasant smell, and a low flash point around 35 degrees C (hence high explosive risk). The chemical is released by phytoplankton when they are being fed upon and acts as an olfactory stimulant to tubenosed birds for example.

Regarding its safety. The safety instructions indicate that it is a strong irritant, harmful by inhalation, harmful by swallowing, harmful by absorbtion through the skin, and has the risk of serious eye damage.

Toxicity information indicates that the chemical is lethal in rats at a concentration of 535mg per kg body weight, alternatively by inhalation it is lethal at a concentration of 40250 parts per million. Severe eye irritation was caused in rabbits at a level of 0.25mg exposure in 24hours.

Hope that helps
Plaxtonman

Chris Mason said:
DMS used in the right concentrations as said above does not seem to be harmful but when it used in the wrong concentratration as i a have seen on the pelagic trips it can not be good.

That's absolutely fine Chris and I agree with your sentiment that it should be used, if at all, in the 'correct doses'. The more we discuss the use of DMS in the right concentrations, the better it will be and should, hopefully, avoid it's misuse on pelagics.

plaxtonman said:
As a research biochemist I might be able to answer this one!

DMS is a chemical called dimethyl sulphide. It is a liquid with an extremely unpleasant smell, and a low flash point around 35 degrees C (hence high explosive risk). The chemical is released by phytoplankton when they are being fed upon and acts as an olfactory stimulant to tubenosed birds for example.
Hope that helps
Plaxtonman

Very helpful, thanks Plaxtonman.

Last edited:
plaxtonman said:
Toxicity information indicates that the chemical is lethal in rats at a concentration of 535mg per kg body weight, alternatively by inhalation it is lethal at a concentration of 40250 parts per million. Severe eye irritation was caused in rabbits at a level of 0.25mg exposure in 24hours.

Hope that helps
Plaxtonman

No comment - (I'd be banned for ever if I said what I am thinking)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Elizabeth Bigg said:
No comment - (I'd be banned for ever if I said what I am thinking)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Should perhaps have said, before I get targetted, that this is not my data, it came from a standard reference book which all labs will have. I work on potatoes!

Plaxtonman

That was a good debate, Interesting to learn more thanks for you reports. I am running pelagic trips without the use of DMS and never will use it again. I do look forward to getting out next weekend and see these birds.
Hope they do have a good pelagic trip and the scillonian doesn't break in 2 like th rowing boat. (glad to see they are ok)
I will try potatoes on my pelagic next week!!

Cheers everyone

Chris Mason

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back