• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Holidaying at Alveston (1 Viewer)

ArbroathBirder

High, I have a weeks holiday at Alveston coming up soon and was wondering if any local birders could give some recomendations.

I'm planning to go to Carsington Water but dont know anywhere else in the area. This will also be my first time doing some birding in England so I not sure what to expect at this time of year.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks Ian.

What are the dates Ian? Carsington is producing the goods with waders at the moment, but don't expect massive numbers. Wildfowl are building up,so expect a good selection. Keep in touch with sightings, via the Derbyshire thread on birdforum, and Carsington bird club website.
Willington gravel pits, is well worth a visit, and is quite close to Alvaston.

Ok some questions.

Is Carsington big/busy enough that I can spend most of the day there? The plan is for the rest of the family go to Alton Towers while I go birding. Or is there other places near to Alton Towers I can visit?

Also how easy is it to see Nuthatch? We dont get them up here so I not familiar with them at all. I'm also interested in Marsh and Willow Tits.

Nuthatch is relatively common and can be found any where. Coombes Valley near Alton Towers may hold them though not a lot else in October. There is also Uttoxeter Quarry which is a good site for waders and that is about 10 miles from Alton Towers. Marsh Tits can be found by the river dove near Milldale or at Castern Woods though these are quite a way from Alvaston. There are probably nearer sites. Willow Tits are regular on the feeders at Carsington by the Paul Stanley Hide.

Ok some questions.

Is Carsington big/busy enough that I can spend most of the day there? The plan is for the rest of the family go to Alton Towers while I go birding. Or is there other places near to Alton Towers I can visit?

Also how easy is it to see Nuthatch? We dont get them up here so I not familiar with them at all. I'm also interested in Marsh and Willow Tits.

Carsington is certainly big enough, it's around 8 miles walk round. The Paul Stanley hide area should produce Nuthatch, failing that try the woods on the east side of the res.Willow tits should be easy enough, if you know the call, but they also frequent the feeders at PS hide. No chance of Marsh Tit I am afraid, but there are areas in the south of the county. Tree Sparrows are a bit of a speciality at Carsington also.

Cheers Clive, I shall research Willow Tit call before coming down, although I'm a bit rubbish at remembering them!

I hoping the Little Egret and Ruff still about. I keep missing the egret at my local tidal basin.

Carsington reported Marsh Tit on the 1st August so they obviously do get them (although I have only ever had one there). They can be found near the Via Gellia valley which isn't far away too. The big parks around Derby are good - try Osmaston Park which is also close to Carsington which is also good for Nuthatch. Clives advice re call is key as it's by far the easiest way to tell them apart.
There are plenty of places close to Derby worth a quick visit including Willington DWT reserve, Foremark Res, Elvaston Castle (good for woodland birds and you could almost walk there) and Drakelow DWT.
Time of year isn't ideal but keep looking on the Derbyshire Ornithological Website too for up to date news.
Good luck, Dan.

Thanks for the info Daniel.

Hopefully pick up a decent map in Smiths tomorrow so I can have a better idea where things are. Willington sounds interesting and Alvaston castle is just over the road from where we staying. I notice Drakelow is permit only so that rules that out.

While it may be a quiet time of year I'm looking forward to a few things I wont get in my part of Scotland. Magpies for a start hopefully. They are rare exotic visitors to Angus!

Thanks for the info Daniel.

Hopefully pick up a decent map in Smiths tomorrow so I can have a better idea where things are. Willington sounds interesting and Alvaston castle is just over the road from where we staying. I notice Drakelow is permit only so that rules that out.

While it may be a quiet time of year I'm looking forward to a few things I wont get in my part of Scotland. Magpies for a start hopefully. They are rare exotic visitors to Angus!

You won't struggle for Magpies, trust me!

Here's a question.

I've read some of the other English threads and noticed that lots of places need permits or are victims of vandalism. Is this common in England?

This just sounds bonkers. I must admit after doing some research on Derbyshire birding I realised what a great part of the world I live in. I have so much different habitat right on my doorstep. I've only been birding for the past two years and rarely stepped out of my county but have 151 species already.

I have visted Derbyshire a few times in the past (pre birding) and really like it as a place, I wish more Scots would visit England.

Returned today from my week in south Derbyshire.

On the Sunday we visited Elvaston Country Park. A nice place though obviously busy due to the insane weather. Spotted the Nuthatch here. A cracking bird - lovely colours. Hopefully will reach my part of Scotland sometime soon. Also taken with the rather tame Canada geese. This is a bird we dont see much of in my part of Scotland and the ones we do are quite wild and easily spooked.

Monday was Carsington. A bit overwhelmed by the size of the place. Would have liked a bit more time. Lots of wildfowl. Spent a good half hour looking at the feeders at the Paul Stanley Hide. Nuthatch, Dunnock and Blue Tit. Lingered around outside and spotted Great and Long Tailed Tits. On my walk back to the car park I spotted a couple of little birds in the hedgerow. Turned out these where the Willow Tits I was looking for. Really pleased with this - a really bonny clean looking bird. Made my day! Had buzzard and kestrel back at the car park. No waders. I thought the reservoir looked really dry with places that would be good for wader looking parched.

The other highlight was visiting Willington GP on Thursday. Had to ask in the Post Office where this was and even then they weren't very sure but we did find it. Shame as this is a cracking place. A bit hampered by the wind but impressed with numbers of Lapwing, wildfowl and herons. Spotted three Little Egret! Really pleased with this.

The days in between were taken up with other things but I really taken with the amount of Great Crested Grebe seen on smaller ponds - not a common bird here at all. Enjoyed the Magpies - I wish we had these here.

Felt really odd not seeing Herring Gulls and Oystercatchers.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back