• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

rubber cover color (1 Viewer)

ZEN-RAY

It never occured to me before until one of our customers asked me why our ED, ED2, ED3, ZRS HD, and upcoming PRIME HD all have green tone in their rubber covers. To me, this color tone is just pleasing to look at. But I am pretty sure it's simply because I am used to it. Hence I am starting this informal poll:

As for the color of PRIME HD rubber cover, which one do you prefer?

A. Green
B. Black/Gray
C. Camo
D. Doesn't matter

Thank you.

-----------------------------------------
Disclaimer:the results of this poll may or may not have any impact on the actual product offering. But we do greatly value and respect your opinion

B. Black/Gray

I like kind of a charcoal color. However, the green certainly doesn't bother me. I also wouldn't mind a camo option.

Another vote here for black (but I think the Zen-Ray green looks pretty good too).

Last edited:
Black generally, although green can be quite fetching, provided it's the correct hue/tint. Camouflage is not as popular in the UK as in the US, yet 'mossy oak' is often attractive.

I have to go along with Cocco Chanel on this one:

"..the concept of the little black dress never changes, much unlike the trend-crazed industry. It remains the height of chicness. It knows no social, style or size boundaries. Whether it costs $1,000 or $50, is a size 2 or a size 22, it is still a little black dress. And everyone wants to own at least one perfect little black dress."

Replace the word "dress" with "binoculars" and 2 and 22 with 20mm and 42mm, and there you have it. Cocco knows best!

Brock

Green for me. Or even brown.

I think black stands out too much if your trying to blend in. Black stands out, a more natural tone of green or brown doesn't.

Edit- In fact, when I say green, I would prefer all green, not green with black focus know and eyecups, etc.

Green all over, that's my vote.

Last edited:
Green or Grey All over sounds very good,With all exposed metal areas painted green... better than Green/black....An Ochre green,similar to old SLC models was very unique. A more innovative Digital Camo could also be very unique look.

Also..You might already done this,I havent seen newer models,but the old neck straps had male-male ends,and the binocular attachments female-female..It will make much more sense to make the strap able to click both ends,and so be able to click both ends of the binocular ends to use as a short hand strap,or to keep out of the way the loose ends..The color/materials and graphics of the strap can also work towards a more unified look

Last edited:
Also..You might already done this,I havent seen newer models,but the old neck straps had male-male ends,and the binocular attachments female-female..It will make much more sense to make the strap able to click both ends,and so be able to click both ends of the binocular ends to use as a short hand strap,or to keep out of the way the loose ends..The color/materials and graphics of the strap can also work towards a more unified look

that's a good idea, thank you!

I'm all for world trade and considering a sweatshirt that ponders, Have you hugged a commie today comrade?, yet I think ZR might do themselves a favor in attempting to distance themselves a bit more from the run of the mill ocular chow mein colour in a can.

White is the new darling wrapping according to 2011 US car sales. Be bold and turn your back on black and green. Stand out from the crowd. Forget about conforming to the tired old mold and try on a little subdued elegance.

You can't convince a thousand folks to like you on FB. You have a PR problem and folks noticing the ZR as being different from the outside first might be just the hook you need to employ. Not only standing out from other lines, but shedding the past whilst moving boldly into the future.

These models aren't NOS/leftovers. They're the new Zen-Ray in Taupe Gray.

Even rather than camo, I don't mind a brown for hunting purposes if it's done right. I agree, for hunting, sometimes black stands out too much. Green usually will work. Leupold had their GR line in brown, which I know many don't care for. Just from the pics, I like the brown option of the new Brunton Icon line...but I've yet to see a pic in hand or one in person.

Green & Black are always probably gonna be safe bets.

that's a good idea, thank you!

Not so sure I like this at all. The existing interconnect conventions used by ZR match those of others which allows some nice options. Take my ability to leave the short strap attachments on my ZR bins and snap on either the stock strap or the Mad Dog (Coleman) Pro Bino Manager (harness).

As for color..... gray would be nice as I already have a bunch of stuff in either black and green :)

Hello,

I think black is a poor colour for binoculars because they absorb more heat in sunlight. The other colours mentioned are better choices.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

Even though I was kidding about the Pink Camo color option, Leupold sells an awful lot of that Yosemite combo to women , so maybe it might be worth a tiny bit of consideration.

Actually as it stands most of the suitable armor color options are probably taken, however I think something subtly different might be doable. For instance a very dark, matte navy blue (almost black or charcoal), a darker deep forest green of a deeper tint than what we see now, or as others have suggested some sort of brownish/reddish, similar to Leupold or what is seen on the Brunton Icon.

Even though I was kidding about the Pink Camo color option, Leupold sells an awful lot of that Yosemite combo to women , so maybe it might be worth a tiny bit of consideration.

Actually as it stands most of the suitable armor color options are probably taken, however I think something subtly different might be doable. For instance a very dark, matte navy blue (almost black or charcoal), a darker deep forest green of a deeper tint than what we see now, or as others have suggested some sort of brownish/reddish, similar to Leupold or what is seen on the Brunton Icon.

They also sell a lot of the pink camo to men as well. I went thru the orange and MO camos before settling on the pink camo 6x30's which I like a lot. When looking around the room to figure out where you last set them down - you don't have to look far.;)

As to the ZR's, how about a nice light or medium gray with black or dark gray accents.

Tom

You know I should have mentioned the dark earth cover of the Leupold Yosemite NWTF edition porros. I have them and its a very attractive and unique color.

Attachments

• leuppic63285.jpg
    leuppic63285.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 74
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back