• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RFI Visiting Sulawesi and Bali (1 Viewer)

featherbrain1223

Hi all,

There's a pretty good chance that May 2012 I will be visiting Sulawesi for a couple of weeks and a few days on Bali. For the duration of the stay on Sulawesi it will be near Bitung and not much chance of getting away from there since I will be with a group. Any suggestions on what endemics to look for in the area?
For Bali, what is the chance of seeing Bali Starlings (best location?).
Also I am trying to find a good field guide for the area but am having trouble, any suggestions?

Thanks so much for any help!

Last edited:
If it helps, there is lots of info on birding sites in Sulawesi and Bali on the Indonesian birding community website http://burung-nusantara.org/birding-indonesia/sites/.

As Larry says, Tangkoko is very close to Bitung - maybe 30-40 minutes by motorbike taxi or car - so it would be easy to commute for some excellent birding.

Nick

Thank you guys for the info, great site!
I'm having trouble finding the Birds of Wallacea and when I do it's usually $100 + shipping. Is there an alternate guide?

Thank you guys for the info, great site!
I'm having trouble finding the Birds of Wallacea and when I do it's usually $100 + shipping. Is there an alternate guide?

Unfortunately the book is out of print, so it is difficult finding a copy - $100 is a pretty good deal at the moment! I know a few people last year ended up paying £75+ for a copy.
If you can wait until 2013 there will be an alternative, but not by 2012 unfortunately!

James

Well my local library happens to have both Birds of Wallacea and Birds of Sulawesi. So I suppose I will save a little money and just refer to them there. I am planning on buying the photographic guide to Indonesia. I know it's incomplete but it will be better than nothing.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back