• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I've moved to Medway. (1 Viewer)

Andy1979

Hi, I have been on this forum for a while now, but thought if I posted here, I might find out who else birds in the area. I have recently moved to Rainham in Kent. My local patch looks like it will be Riverside CP but Cliffe isn't far in one direction and Elmley not far the other.

I also run a moth trap regularly but haven't had a chance to do so in the new garden yet. Does anyone know of any plug-in points in the area where I could try something different as I don't have a generator?

Andy.

Hi, I have been on this forum for a while now, but thought if I posted here, I might find out who else birds in the area. I have recently moved to Rainham in Kent. My local patch looks like it will be Riverside CP but Cliffe isn't far in one direction and Elmley not far the other.

I also run a moth trap regularly but haven't had a chance to do so in the new garden yet. Does anyone know of any plug-in points in the area where I could try something different as I don't have a generator?

Andy.

Hi Andy

I bird Riverside CP from time to time. Winter is undoubtedly best and make sure you get the tide right. It goes out like someone has pulled the plug in the bath! Good numbers of Brent geese, Shelduck, Pintails, Teal, Wigeon and last winter saw an irruption of Waxwings. I've seen Slavonian Grebe there in the past. The usual waders are present, especially Redshank and Curlew. Sometimes there are over-wintering warblers e.g. Chiffchaff and Blackcap.

Some of the dog walkers are a pain - I was sworn and and insulted last winter because I didn't make a fuss of someone's dog. I would try and go on week days and not in school holidays if possible.

If you can get a little further afield, Shellness is good but make sure you park and walk down - the state of the road is evil.

Pat

Hi Andy
I rarely look here but i guess I should do really. The KOS website will indeed provide you with lots of info re recent bird sightings posted on the website. Re moth trapping I can look into that for you. Send me a message and I can update you on other sites to check in the area also. Re Shellness, the road now is like a super highway compared to what it used to be!!
Cheers
Barry

Hi Andy
I rarely look here but i guess I should do really. The KOS website will indeed provide you with lots of info re recent bird sightings posted on the website. Re moth trapping I can look into that for you. Send me a message and I can update you on other sites to check in the area also. Re Shellness, the road now is like a super highway compared to what it used to be!!
Cheers
Barry

That's good news re the road. I saw a 4WD virtually afloat last year. I find Bird Forum much more friendly and welcoming than the KOS discussion areas but maybe that's changed too. It's pity that more people don't post on this area of Bird Forum.

Pat

Hi Pat
I'll endeavour to post here when I get a chance. The entire Medway estuary is worthy of putting in time to look for stuff, it's just a case of exploring the area. Motney, Lower Halstow and Copperhouse are some of my favourite areas. Re KOS discussion areas, the 'newish' forum allows for simply ignoring certain areas that can get a bit 'heavy' at times but we try to update bird sightings when we can
Barry
Barry

Hi Andy,

You should get out to High Halstow where there is a spectacular corvid roost along with egret and heron. They fairly fill the sky overhead at dusk. This is also an exellent place to see nightingales when they return in spring. If you take the wee road past the hill past decoy farm down to swigs hole then you get acess to the marshes and shore. From there you can walk the river frontage to Cliff pools or towards Allhallows. You probably have a map but if not then try the OS Explorer 163 for a good over view!

New Hythe Lakes, Mote Park, Higham Marshes, Funton Creek in winter, Isle of Grain. You will find plenty of interesting sites to visit.

Tom

as an update to birding in Kent today, a fine adult Sabines's Gull, Little Auk, a few Poms, Bonxies, lots of duck off Shellness today. Very enjoyable
Barry

Hi all,

Apologies for hijacking this thread but does anyone know if the Rough-legged Buzzards are still at Shellness/Capel Fleet? I have a window of oppurtunity tomorrow to try to see them and I'm struggling to find recent news of them.

Many thanks,

:)-D

Thanks all. I've birded around Kent for years, but everything is that bit closer now. It's been pretty good so far. Issy Shrike at Cliffe, Rough-leg at Shellness, then yesterday i found a GG Shrike at Shellness and one of the GW Egrets from the raptor watchpoint...
Edit: sorry, i should mae it clear that i twitched the Issy Shrike and the Rough-leg...

Last edited:
RL Buzzard -walk along the seawall at Shellness towards the Hide (ie turn right at the style). You would be unlucky not to catch it in the afternoon.

Tom

Hi all,

Apologies for hijacking this thread but does anyone know if the Rough-legged Buzzards are still at Shellness/Capel Fleet? I have a window of oppurtunity tomorrow to try to see them and I'm struggling to find recent news of them.

Many thanks,

:)-D
Once the RL B arrive they tend to stay for the winter - it would be strange if you didnt see one on a trip - just be prepared to work a bit for them as experience i have is they do rove a bit! just be aware of how RLB work!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back