• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Meopta (1 Viewer)

.... and scopes come to that since they have a new top-of-the-range model due soon.

Oddly enough, given their European origins from what I've read Meopta instruments seem much more highly rated in the USA than in the UK. Perhaps because they seem popular in the large American hunting market (virtually non existent in comparison in the UK). Reviews I've seen look positive - good optics and robust construction,

I was very impressed with the models I tried at a recent birdfair. The conditions were very bright, but I thought the quality of the view was up with the alphas with only the FOV and edge sharpness being a little behind. I particularly liked the Meostar 8x32. Just seemed a perfect fit for my hands. They used to have a bit of a reputation for a yellow tinge to the view. I didn't see it in the 8x32 and x42s I tried, but I've read it still may be there on the 7x and the x50.

There is a review of the 8x32 in Italian here. Google translate may help a little ;) .
http://www.binomania.it/binocoli/meopta8x32/meopta8x32.php

And the 7x42.
http://www.binomania.it/binocoli/meopta7x42/meopta_7x42.php

I also liked the Meopro 6.5x32 a lot. Not quite as compact or as contrasty as the big brothers, but a real pleasure to use.

David

Thanks very much for all the info. The couple of reads were very informative. I was looking at a pair of 7x32 Meopta but from what I have read the 8X32 may be a better pick. Your suggestions? I am a birder and a hunter, of which, I will be using for both. Any other suggestions without breaking the bank and a compact style. At present, I am using my Vortex Razors but find them a bit cumbersome at times.
Thanks
Nobby

Thanks very much for all the info. The couple of reads were very informative. I was looking at a pair of 7x32 Meopta but from what I have read the 8X32 may be a better pick. Thanks
Nobby

A 7x32 Meopta?...Meostar?

That is news on my end. Where did you see it at? Any info on the specs, etc...?

The 8x32 is a wonderful little binocular and one of my favorite 8x32s period. The ergonomics are wonderful and the view is certainly competitive with any 8x32 currently on the market.

The 8x32 model is more color neutral than any of the others from what I remember.

A 7x32 Meopta?...Meostar?

That is news on my end. Where did you see it at? Any info on the specs, etc...?

The 8x32 is a wonderful little binocular and one of my favorite 8x32s period. The ergonomics are wonderful and the view is certainly competitive with any 8x32 currently on the market.

The 8x32 model is more color neutral than any of the others from what I remember.

Hi guys,

Meopta does not have a 7x32.
Full lineup:
MeoPro: 6.5x32, 8x42, 10x42
MeoStar: 8x32, 10x32, 7x42, 8x42, 10x42, 10x42 HD (January'12), 7x50, 10x50, 12x50, 8x56

Well I ordered the 6.5x32. I think I have neglected that model for far too long. ;-)

Shame on you for being so neglectful, Frank. :)

Aren't all these 6.5x32 roofs out there under various labels actually the same bin in different skins? Similar to the way Kowa, Hawke, and other brands now have Yosemite porros under different names?

Do you know if the 6.5x32 Meopro is actually a unique product made by Meopta or a ChinBin clone assembled in the US?

Brock

The Meopro and Fury's by physical form and specifications are so close I assumed they had a common origin. Wasn't able to do a side by side, but I came away thinking the Meopro was brighter with better contrast. Better coatings? Just speculation.

David

"The 8x32 is a wonderful little binocular and one of my favorite 8x32s period."

Yikes! I fear I shall ne'er peer through as the cost is roughly what I paid for the Papilio 6.5x21, ED2 7x36 & the Viper 8.5x50 combined.

Yet, I'm nibbling on your recent Sightron II review in the affordable, for me, 8x32 line. Oddly enough I'm also looking at what might be competitive in a porro in that same neck of the woods magnification/performance/price.

Thanks for all of the info guys. Yes, you are right Frank D, they are not a 7x32 but a 7x42. I thought these would be even brighter yet perhaps bigger then the 8x32. Does anyone have a preference on the difference in size. Not sure how much bigger they are.
Nobby

Does anyone know if Meopta have any connection to Leica, please? When I was looking at these recently the shop assistant mentioned something like Meopta had done some manufacturing for Leica?
Thanks
Hobbes

Good question but I heard that a German company, such as Leica or Zeiss made Meopta. Anyoneone know? Thanks in advance for any info.
Nobby

No. Meopta is one of the companies that actually manufacturers all of the components and assembles the bins/scopes on their own (not sure about the MeoPros but definitely the Meostars).

No. Meopta is one of the companies that actually manufacturers all of the components and assembles the bins/scopes on their own (not sure about the MeoPros but definitely the Meostars).

Thanks Frank, but it was the other way around I was thinking about - whether Meopta did any work for Leica? Not to worry.
All the best
Hobbes

Hobbes,

I can't say I have ever heard for that connection in particular. The only one that I have seen mentioned repeatedly is Meopta making the Conquest line of riflescopes for Zeiss.

Hobbes,

There has been quite a lot of speculation on the forum as to whether Meopta produce lens elements or do assembly work on the scopes of the Big 3.
I once asked a Meopta rep. at Photokina if this was the case and instead of a denial he refused to comment - in a sense, a confirmation.
Zeiss Diascopes were engraved with "Made by Carl Zeiss" instead of "Made in Germany" and some time ago someone posted a thumbnail showing "Made in Czech Republic" on a Diascope.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back