• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cape Town and Durban (1 Viewer)

screech-owl

At the end of November and beginning of December, I will be visiting South Africa, specifically the cities of Cape Town and Durban. I will not be there for birding, but I hope to visit some nearby parks and gardens and at least see the common species. Does anyone know any good places that are nearby that are good for birding? The closer to the city the better.

Also, what are the most common species that I could expect in and around the city, city parks, and beach areas?

Good morning

Have a look at the www.birdingroutes.co.za website and scroll down to self drive itineraries (left hand side). There are one day self drive itineraries for both Durban and Cape Town on the page which you could have a look at and plan a day of birding.

Regards

Martin

Hi Corey When in Durban try the Botanical Garden. It is in the city and it is safe to walk around in and you get to see a lot of birds. It opens at seven in the morning. There is a small body of water (the lake) which is sometimes quite rewarding, and several different plant ecosystems. There is also a small outdoor restaurant which opens at nine if you want coffee! I don't know where you will be, but there is an entrance into the garden off John Zikhali Road which links with Cowey Road. There is parking here and a car guard. No entry fee. Here is a list of birds that i saw last time I was there:
Fork-tailed Drongo
African Palm Swift
Dark-capped Bulbul
Black-collared Barbet
Bronze Mannikin
Collared Sunbird
Spectacled Weaver
Kurrichane Thrush
Cape White-eye
Black Flycatcher
Spotted-backed Weaver
Yellow-billed Kite
Thick-billed Weaver
Reed Cormorant
Common Mynah
Cape Wagtail
Red-backed Mannikin
Dusky Flycatcher
Speckled Mousebird
White-bellied Sunbird
Red-eyed Dove
Cape Robin
Moorhen
Grey Heron
Squacco Heron
Spurwing Goose
Pink-backed Pelican
African Spoonbill
Black Sparrowhawk
Sacred Ibis
African Hadeda
Egyptian Goose

At other times I have been there, I have also seen Darter, Little grebe, White-breasted Cormorant, Black-headed Heron, Goliath Heron, Cattle and Little Egret, Green-backed Heron, Hamerkop, Woolly-necked Stork, White-faced Duck, Yellow-billed Duck, African Harrier Hawk, Palm Swift, White-rumped Swift, Pied Giant and Malachite Kingfishers, African Hoopoe, Red-fronted Tinker-Barbet, brown-throated Martin, Square-tailed Drongo, Olive Thrush, Groundscraper Thrush, Red-capped Robin-chat, Lesser swamp Warbler, Bar-throated Apalis, Green-backed Cameroptera, Red-chested Sunbird, Amethyst Sunbird, Thick-billed Weaver, Red Bishop,Cape Weaver.

if you have to be within the city you could also take a walk along the beachfront early in the morning - say around six. Again, it is a safe environment, well-patrolled, lots of people use it for exercise, but you can see some common seabirds along this route. You can park right there too.

Last edited:
Hi, Sal,
I haven't been in Durban for years, but are the Beachwood Mangroves still accessible? That was one of my favourite places back in the '70's.
Best wishes,
Dave

Hi Dave - As far as I know they are no longer open for public access, although school groups etc can still get in. The reason is because there have been many crimes in the area. I did check it for Screech Owl and the website says it is still closed. I agree- wonderful place.

Hi screech-owl - I would recommend Cape Point, Strandfontein, Rooiels and West Coast National Park in and around Cape Town. As for Durban; Pigeon Valley and Shongweni Dam would produce a good variety of species. Oribi Gorge and Vernon Crookes reserves to the south of Durban are also very productive.
Have a great trip!
Regards
Adam

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back