• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hoatzins (1 Viewer)

Interesting discussion in crossing Atlantic ocean... Peter, do you have a paper about Trogons, how they links Africa, Americas and Asia?

Thanks

Dear Peter,

Your first document is exactly what I asked for. I manage to open it only today, not bafore, because for some obscur reasons some PDF are not opened with my new laptop. Back in Europe after 7 months in Africa, on my old PC, I can finally ready those PDF...

Thanks for helping

African fossil hoatzin

Mayr 2014. A hoatzin fossil from the middle Miocene of Kenya documents the past occurrence of modern-type Opisthocomiformes in Africa. Auk 131(1): 55–60. [abstract] [pdf]

Last edited:
Gerald Mayr & Vanesa L. De Pietri , 2014

Earliest and first Northern Hemispheric hoatzin fossils substantiate Old World origin of a “Neotropic endemic”

Naturwissenschaften on lin first http://link.springer.com/journal/114

Abstract:

Description

Naturwissenschaften - The Science of Nature - is Springer's flagship multidisciplinary science journal. The journal is dedicated to the fast publication and global dissemination of high-quality research and invites papers, which are of interest to the broader community in the biological sciences. Contributions from the chemical, geological, and physical sciences are welcome if contributing to questions of general biological significance. Particularly welcomed are contributions that bridge between traditionally isolated areas and attempt to increase the conceptual understanding of systems and processes that demand an interdisciplinary approach.Naturwissenschaften - The Science of Nature - is only interested in publishing the very best of research, and the selection criteria are scientific excellence, novelty, and the potential to attract the widest possible readership, reflecting the multidisciplinary nature of the journal. The journal publishes Reviews, Original Articles, Concepts & Synthesis, Short Communications, and Comments & Replies. With the Comments & Reply section, Naturwissenschaften - The Science of Nature - aims to stimulate scientific discussion or elaborate on opposing view in response to an article published in the journal. Frequency: Monthly in print; Online First published timely.

Fred Ruhe (sorry, I don't have the paper yet)
Abstract:

Hmmm....

Something went wrong,

but here is the abstract:

The recent identification of hoatzins (Opisthocomiformes) in the Miocene of Africa showed part of the evolution of these birds, which are now only found in South America, to have taken place outside the Neotropic region. Here, we describe a new fossil species from the late Eocene of France, which constitutes the earliest fossil record of hoatzins and the first one from the Northern Hemisphere. Protoazin parisiensis gen. et sp. nov. is more closely related to South American Opisthocomiformes than the African taxon Namibiavis and substantiates an Old World origin of hoatzins, as well as a relictual distribution of the single extant species. Although recognition of hoatzins in Europe may challenge their presumed transatlantic dispersal, there are still no North American fossils in support of an alternative, Northern Hemispheric, dispersal route. In addition to Opisthocomiformes, other avian taxa are known from the Cenozoic of Europe, the extant representatives of which are only found in South America. Recognition of hoatzins in the early Cenozoic of Europe is of particular significance because Opisthocomiformes have a fossil record in sub-Saharan Africa, which supports the hypothesis that extinction of at least some of these “South American” groups outside the Neotropic region was not primarily due to climatic factors.

Fred Ruhe

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back