• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Abney Park Cemetery (1 Viewer)

Chris M

Being new to this birding lark, I've been looking around local areas to find somewhere to call 'home'.
Today I had my first visit to Abney Park Cemetery and was blown away by the place, couldn't believe I was still in London. In certain areas there was absolute silence except for the birds calling. I saw untold birds that I had no chance of naming but came away quite chuffed having seen my first Long Tailed Tit, nothing much to seasoned birders but it made my day.
I've had a nose around on the internet and there seems very little info on the site except the londonbirders wiki. A look on BirdTrack shows hardly any recent records and a search of this forum came up with virtually nothing. Is anyone on here regularly visiting Abney? I'd be surprised if there wasn't as it's an amazing place.

Last edited:
I've found it to be pretty good, especially for GS Woodpeckers. However, it's also a notorious gay cruising venue and I've found in the past that the patrons can be (surprisingly) quite aggressive. On my first visit a couple of years ago I got pretty much hounded-out. It was a bad enough experience that I won't return on my own anymore, but only with friends.

Thanks for the 'heads up', I wasn't aware of the problems over there as it was quite early in the day. Probably not the best place to be creeping about with a camera and binoculars!! Haven't had the chance to go since due to work but will give it a miss now that I know that.
Cheers mate.
Chris

I wouldn't give it a miss altogether, because as you said there's some good birding to be had there, but I'd just go with a friend in future. For me it was the first (and only) time in my life that I've cut a photoshoot of any kind short when I hadn't planned to, simply because I just got sick and tired of being followed. It was relentless - and this was on a Saturday lunchtime in broad daylight. I assume if they see a guy there on his own, they just assume he's there for those reasons. I found it particularly shocking because it's a designated nature reserve and children are encouraged to come in and play.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back