• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tring Bash Post Mortem 18 January 2003 (1 Viewer)

P

peter hayes

TRING BASH POST MORTEM 18 JANUARY 2003

Participants: Andy Thatcher, Londoner, Kevin, Steve,
Alastair Rae, Green Fields, Peter Hayes.

Weather: Dry, overcast, chilly in the wind.

Bird Forum's first unofficial trip, so a small place in birding history
is guaranteed for Tring Bash. Andy Thatcher had foolishly
guaranteed sighting of a Bittern or two on one of the Tring
Reservoirs, so a small gang of BF Chums met at Tring railway
station. Andy recognised Peter Hayes immediately because he was wearing his natty BF baseball cap, which is fast becoming a must have for birders everywhere. They were soon joined by Londoner (Keith) and Kevin (moderator). First stop was Wilstone Reservoir, the first place to record a nesting Little Ringed Plover. As we made our way the wrong way round the reservoir (more on that later), picking our way past the many fisherman sheltering from the biting wind under gigantic green umbrellas, we saw plenty of mute Swans (at least 100), plus the odd Great Crested Grebe repeatedly diving into the huge expanse of water. There were large numbers of Wigeon and Tufted Duck, and a flock of 60 or so Lapwing flew over quickly followed by several small groups of Mute Swans making a terrific racket with their wings. As we walked, looking to the countryside on our left as well as the reservoir to our right, we saw a Grey Wagtail on the concrete wall of the reservoir by the side of the water and 60 Greylag Geese sitting in a field. At times, the whistle of the many Wigeon overrode all other noises. As we entered a wood, led by Andy Thatcher, we saw Wrens, plus the odd Chaffinch and Goldfinch. Londoner was quick to point out a couple of Great Spotted Woodpeckers, one flying out from a tree right in front of us. There were the usual Coots and Cormorants, and plenty of Mallards.

Then we came to a large gate saying PRIVATE. A decision had to be taken whether to carry on and break the laws of trespass, or hike a mile or so up a hill - the lawful route. It was decided that as the gate was open, a court of law might well believe that we hadn't seen the sign (thanks to Kevin for legal advice) so on we strode. Through a wood where pheasants were reared for a shoot, over barbed wires fences, gates and stiles - on went the intrepid five. Eventually we reached the hide. We could have got to the same spot in a tenth of the time had we turned left instead of right when we arrived at the reservoir, but Andy please don't feel bad about this. BF members just love a challenge!

We just managed to reach the hide before Steve and Green Fields arrived. Kevin was spotted not wearing his BF hat and will have to serve a short period of suspension as a result. From the hide we saw many more Coot, Mallard, Great Crested Grebe, Cormorant, Mute Swans, Shoveler, Little Grebe, Goldeneye, and a pair of lovely Goosander really catching the winter sun.

After an impromptu meeting on BF business; site capacity, server reliability, number of forums, forthcoming trips to Scotland and further climes etc, we made our way back to the car park and said goodbye to Steve and Green Fields. In convoy, we drove to Startops and Marlsworth reservoirs. Sadly, Londoner went AWOL on the way, and we were reduced to four of us in The Great Bittern Hunt. We passed many more birds including many Tufted Duck, until we arrived at the reed bed. A couple of birders just leaving the area told us that a Bittern had been showing extremely well until just a few minutes beforehand. Just our luck, we thought. Suddenly all the birds on the water scattered as a Sparrowhawk flew over and settled on a tree at the edge of the reservoir. It made a lovely sight through Kevin's Swarovski HD80.

There were six other birders already there, most with scopes, and one with a 600mm lens on his SLR camera. Alastair got out his Nikon CP4500 - much more manageable! Then we had our first view here of this intriguing bird. It was standing up in the reeds so we could well see its fantastic colours and patterning. Its camouflage really is supremely good. Later, we had further views, including some full body views, as the Bittern straightened its neck and reached for the sky, imitating the reeds around it. Just after it went back into the reeds for the last time, Londoner telephoned to say he'd followed the wrong car for several miles and was now in Kent! He drooled as I described our lingering views of the Bittern. Back at the car park, Andy Thatcher departed, his duty done. When BF members promise to deliver, they do. Thanks Andy for those marvellous views of this fabulous bird.

Kevin, Alastair and myself then nipped over to College Lakes. These former gravel pits are now managed by a Wildlife Trust. The setting is spectacular, as you look down to the lakes from on high. There are hides all around, plus a visitor centre (where we paid the £2 entry fee into an honesty box, and looked at a feeding station teeming with various Tits, Chaffinches, Wrens etc) and a little education centre. On the two main lakes there were hundreds of Canadas, Tufted Duck and Wigeon. We also saw the ubiquitous Coot, some Teal, Shoveler, Gadwall, and some Ruddy Duck. With the late afternoon sun lighting up the whole amphitheatre, we felt privileged to be there. Kevin said his Canadian visitors (he showed them College Lakes just before Christmas) had never seen anything like it. They didn't even have hides! As a flock of Lapwing flew into the distance, we wrapped things up and considered we had just had a fine day's birding. Roll on Devon Bash next Saturday!

Thoroughly enjoyed the read Peter and wish I could have been there. Did Alistair manage a photo of the Bittern? I hope so as it would be a very good addition to the Gallery.

Devonbash next Saturday? Did I miss that thread. I thought that it was on Feb15th.

Quite right John, my mistake: Devon Bash IS on 15 Febuary. I've got something else on in Devon next Saturday. If it works out I'll report back to the Forum. It's a guided walk with a well known West Country naturalist called Rod Larwence.

Thanks for your kind words......

PS sorry, the Bittern moved back into the reeds just as Alastair had finished setting up! These birds.......never do what you want, do they?!!!

Great to meet one and all !

Couldn't believe that the bittern showed so well it must have been online and read it had important guests coming.

Andy

Thanks again for showing us the way to those marvellous views of the Bittern. As for the AWOL Londoner - he is safe and well after getting lost. He eventually made his way to Kent, and then home.

Peter

Pity you didn't pick up corn bunting a well Peter but you can't be greedy 3:)

I am so impressed with that bittern I think I am going to have to go and have another look tomorrow just to see if it does a repeat performance.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back