• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opticron bins (1 Viewer)

squidge

Wha Whassssat
Went to a demonstration today at the goose festival at wexford wildfowl reserve, and met Chris who was very helpful and even managed to fix a slightly loose eyecup that I had on a pair of bins.

It was optic heaven with the amount of bins on show. I know it was only one brand but you dont get many demos in Ireland.

I tried out I think all of the bins there in between birding during the day and was really impressed with the build quality and optics of the bins. I wont go through all of the bins just give the watered down highlights.

Highlights for me were the Aurora's and the DBA s coat. Both have excellent views but it was the cheaper DBA that I felt was the better binocular for me as I preferred the feel and ergonomics.

I tried out the new Verano bga hd, and this was another excellent binocular with the double hinged tubes very easy to grip. Of the three different formats I preferred the 8x32 as this had a nice wide fov.

I also tried the new explorer, what I found brilliant about this binocular was the rubber armouring. The best way I can describe the feel of the armouring was a grippy feel. The binoculars had a lovely shape and the optics were very good with a nice wide fov. I can see this binocular being a good seller for Opticron.

The compact savanna was another Binocular that impressed. It had a nice small feel with decent optics. These are a great binocular for children.

I tried a lot more bins all with their own merits but the list is too long and I'm tired.|=o| but a great days birding with a lot of optics for good measure.
Ger.

Squidge,

Thank you for the brief rundown. With Opticron now planning to sell in the US market I hope to get my hands on more of their bins as well.

Squidge,

It was nice to meet you at the Wexford Goose Festival and everyone else that travelled from as far as Dublin. I think that it was a great event although very small numbers attending, perhaps 100 people maximum. Sorry that the ED-X was not with me to show you, as I think that you will be equally impressed with this model when it goes on sale in 2012. This is a great reserve and visitor centre and I think is the perfect type of venue for this kind of event.

When I had some spare time it was good to go up to the observation tower and see all the Greenland White-fronts & Pale-bellied Brents too.

Chris Galvin
Opticron

Hi Chris, I didn't think there would be big numbers as from my experience (which is only a few years) there are not many 'birders' in Ireland. But I think it is a growing hobby. One of the benefits of a small population is you can have a whole marshland/cliffside etc. to yourself but it also means Ireland is underwatched and who knows what is lurking in the bushes and estuaries.;)

I really enjoyed testing all the bins and the new Verano hd 8x32 and the new explorer were the two bins that stood out for me. Hopefully it wont be too long before the ED-X comes out as I'm looking forward to this one.

Ger.

Tell me about it!

Have started stalking Chris via Twitter - have until mid-Jan before my opportunity to return my Monarch Mk3 8x43's expires so keen to try them out.

I was really impressed with the 8x32 hd model as the size seemed to fit my hands perfectly. The open hinge design is very user friendly imo. The focussing was very smooth with no play. The optics were excellent with a wide fov and a clear image out to the edge. It was a dull day but the image was very bright. I was looking at some black headed gulls and I could easily make out their feather detail.

I used to own a pair of nikon monarchs (not mk3) and the opticrons are by far the better binocular. Not sure how the mk3 would measure up but I doubt if they come close to the verano's.

I recommend them but if you can try a pair.

Ger.

Ger & Falco

I will be getting my samples of the new Countryman BGA HD, which will include the new 'baby' 8x32 and my ED-X this week and will be visiting my first dealers with them this week.

Chris Galvin
Opticron

I 'discovered' Opticrons about six/seven years ago and now won't even look at any other model! Currently using a pair of Adventurer WP 10x42's as they suit me perfectly :t:

Chris, any plans to have the ED-X available to try out in the South East soon?

Hi Falco,

I too will be getting my samples of ED-X this week to show around my dealers, I will be showing them to Lce Reading and Winchester on Thursday, if that's any good for you?

Rob
Opticron

Hi Falco,

I too will be getting my samples of ED-X this week to show around my dealers, I will be showing them to Lce Reading and Winchester on Thursday, if that's any good for you?

Rob
Opticron

Will only be able to see them on weekend I'm afraid. Do let us know.

Can you share any pics or info or even just the RRP at this point?

My brand new samples of the eagerly awaited ED-X have arrived along with the Brand New Countryman HD.

Right off out to show them to a few folks

Chris Galvin
Opticron

My brand new samples of the eagerly awaited ED-X have arrived along with the Brand New Countryman HD.

Right off out to show them to a few folks

Chris Galvin
Opticron

Specs? Pics?

I would love to see what you folks came up with for an ED glass bin.

RRP is £299 for 8x42 and £309 for 10x42. There will be full info with pics and all the usual stuff on the Opticron website very soon... will keep you all posted.

Cheers, Pete

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back