• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica 62APO versus Zeiss 65 (1 Viewer)

DHB

Both of these spotters are available for roughly the same money (actually the Zeiss sometimes is on special for less). They are like new demos from authorized dealers. I am undecided as to these are worth double the money over a Minox 62ED. What are the pro's and con's of these. The only one I have looked through was the Zeiss and I thought it had a yellow cast which turned me off.
I would be using a zoom eyepiece with all three.
Thanks everyone for your patience and help....
Dave

If you noticed a yellow cast on the Zeiss you'll probably like the Leica. It seems that people either notice a yellow cast on the Zeiss or a blue on on the Leica - one seems right and the other has a colour cast.
Personally I saw a yellow cast so ended up with the Leica (though the 77apo) and have been very pleased with it. It seems that most would say that the Zeiss has the superior zoom (though I've not used one recently enough to comment), but the Leica is certainly good quality too.
I know a couple of birders who have been so impressed with the 62apo that they have traded in 77apo's and claim that they can hardly tell the difference (except for the weight).
On what I've seen I'd recommend the Leica - that said it comes down to personal preference so best bet is to try them side by side (if possible in poor conditions as this is where both the Zeiss and the Leica will show there value).

We have used both at the "Full Monty" watchpoint, also a Swarovski and on balance I preferred the Zeiss but as you say it is a matter of personal preference. Try before you buy.

I'm glad I'm not alone in seeing the benefits of the Zeiss over the Swaro, even though it would be daft to say the differences are dramatic. But, the more I use the Zeiss, the more I appreciate the differnce in field of view. If the Zeiss had the neutrality of Nikon eyepieces... or if Nikon has the fov of the Zeiss!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back