• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Flash or true color? (1 Viewer)

prairiemerlin

registered guy
I took both of these Mourning Dove photos on April 1st, 2004 at 4:58 p.m. It was cloudy, and I had to use very low shutter speeds. I had used the flash on my camera many times, but now I was shooting through a dirty window. Here are two resized and cropped photos, the first shot with true color (no flash) and the second with a flash. (I can't determine which I like better.)

flash.jpg

flash2.jpg

Thanks!

Personally I prefer No.2. The colours are more saturated and natural looking though it could stand lightening a little.

In low light conditions colours do generally become washed out. Exposure compensation (EV) can help to improve saturation.

At first glance i'd say flash2, but both are quite usable after a little level tweaking, if you play with the output levels on green and blue for flash.jpg you can get the colours quite similar to those in flash2.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back