• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bude Marshes out of Sync (1 Viewer)

Stritchy

Zoologist / Bonobo Habituator
Yesterday I paid a visit to the Bude marshes, a usual hotbed of bird activity this time of year. It all stated quite well with a tiny goldcrest appearing in a tree just inches from where I was standing. However going to the main lake the views where not so good, just a few small teal flocks, about 5-6 lapwing, and a small flock of widgeon. Usually the lake is filed with these species. We carried on around the marshes and saw a small flock of lapwing and oystercatcher.

The main marshland however was deserted, not a single bird on it, well one buzzard and 2 magpies. Usually there are so many migrant birds here that wherever you place your binoculars you are pretty much guaranteed to see a few birds. But nothing today.

Another oddity was fresh new shoots appearing within the marshes.

By now at this time of year redwings are everywhere but as yet I have yet to see a single one.

Nature seems to be a bit out of sync down here at the bottom of the country. What the rest of the U.K is like I don't know.

It will be interesting to see what the coming weeks and months bring our way

Yesterday I paid a visit to the Bude marshes, a usual hotbed of bird activity this time of year. It all stated quite well with a tiny goldcrest appearing in a tree just inches from where I was standing. However going to the main lake the views where not so good, just a few small teal flocks, about 5-6 lapwing, and a small flock of widgeon. Usually the lake is filed with these species. We carried on around the marshes and saw a small flock of lapwing and oystercatcher.

The main marshland however was deserted, not a single bird on it, well one buzzard and 2 magpies. Usually there are so many migrant birds here that wherever you place your binoculars you are pretty much guaranteed to see a few birds. But nothing today.

Another oddity was fresh new shoots appearing within the marshes.

By now at this time of year redwings are everywhere but as yet I have yet to see a single one.

Nature seems to be a bit out of sync down here at the bottom of the country. What the rest of the U.K is like I don't know.

It will be interesting to see what the coming weeks and months bring our way
You are not alone mate,
Here in worcestershire (upton warren wetland)we are suffering as well. Our regular wintering Bitterns have not returned, duck numbers are low, with 1 or 2 species totally absent. The speciality of the reserve Jack Snipe has not even been seen on a part of the reserve where double figures are regularly recorded. It's not necessarily all bad news though, the mild winter has meant that more birds are surviving, but many more will not have moved from the north and east of Europe yet, due to the milder conditions. The other factor involved, is the dry summer which dried out most of our prime wetland habitat. As yet that area has not fully recovered and this winter might be a complete non event. :t:John

Good to see that there is a positive side to this. More birds surviving is fine by me even if I miss out on seeing them.

Glad its not just happening here, though there may have been something wrong with the marsh.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back