• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Alternative Book and Software Recommendations (1 Viewer)

pstraughan

Bill Pranty's book is currently out of stock on Amazon. There are second hand copies available but they are expensive and/or would need to be shipped from the US. Does anyone have alternative suggestions - I want to buy now, before I go on holiday.

Also, can anyone recommend relevant Florida bird apps for the Ipad?

Thanks

Pat

Thanks. Is this a field guide as well as describing sites? I'm an absolute novice as far as US birds are concerned - visited several times before but wasn't interested in birds then. I can only remember about 3!

Pat

Not a field guide, though it does have species accounts for regularly occurring birds that includes a range map, list of key sites for the species, and description of its occurrence in Florida.

For a guide to take with you in the field to ID birds, I would recommend the Sibley Field Guide to Birds of Eastern North America. There is also a Sibley Guide app for the iPhone that was recently updated to take advantage of the iPad's larger screen and gets high marks; it includes bird calls. Here is a site with good reviews of the main portable apps for US birds: http://www.birderslibrary.com/features/iphone-bird-guide-comparison.htm There are no apps specifically designed for Florida birds as far as I know. There are some good threads in the Florida subforum with more information about Florida birding.

Jim

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back