PDA

View Full Version : Central North American Migration

samuel walker
Monday 23rd August 2004, 18:47
Can we use this wonderful forum as an advanced radar for migrants this Fall?How about this thread for birders on the central flyway.Example:Tennesee reports buffleheads moving overhead going North in October Ohio reports buffleheads two weeks later.Northern Canada reports arrival at Winter grounds,etc.I'll start it here
Common Nighthawk:
seven common nighthawks flying from N to S passed over Cleveland Oh. at 7:30pm 8-22.Additional reports of NH were posted from central OH on the same night with lists as high as 150 birds.
That was easy
Sam

Tammie
Monday 23rd August 2004, 19:07
Can we use this wonderful forum as an advanced radar for migrants this Fall?How about this thread for birders on the central flyway.Example:Tennesee reports buffleheads moving overhead going North in October Ohio reports buffleheads two weeks later.Northern Canada reports arrival at Winter grounds,etc.I'll start it here
Common Nighthawk:
seven common nighthawks flying from N to S passed over Cleveland Oh. at 7:30pm 8-22.Additional reports of NH were posted from central OH on the same night with lists as high as 150 birds.
That was easy
Sam

Neat idea, Sam,
I won't add anything fancy as I only watch my feeders but I did have two common nighthawks in my backyard last week.
Right now, I have a mourning dove that's returned to the feeders after being gone for almost 2 months... where do they go, anyway?! :h?:
No other signs of migration just yet except the hummers feeding exceptionally heavy lately.

Grousemore
Monday 23rd August 2004, 19:52
Good idea,Sam...if it proves popular,it may even be given 'sticky' status!

Tammie
Monday 23rd August 2004, 20:43
Good idea,Sam...if it proves popular,it may even be given 'sticky' status!

Oh boy! Wouldn't you feel special THEN, Sam!!! o:)

Larry Lade
Monday 23rd August 2004, 20:43
Sam, I noticed two Common Nighthawks flying over our yard yesterday in the early evening, heading north to south.

We are beginning to get the shorebirds in our area (Saint Joseph, in northwest Missouri). They include Greater and Lesser Yellowlegs, Solitary, Spotted, Semipalmated, Western, Least and Pectoral Sandpipers. We are also having a few gulls and terns moving through; Caspian, Forster's, Common, Black and Least Terns and some Ring-billed Gulls.

Our Indigo Bunting numbers are thinning down and the Dickcissels and Western Kingbirds have disappeared from northwest Missouri.

I saw on the Iowa Bird Listserve that they are beginning to get quite a few warblers moving through their state.

Good idea you had!

Dave B Smith
Monday 23rd August 2004, 22:08
In the last month I've had Yellow-throated Warblers (2) show up, a Ruby-throated Hummingbird, as well as a number of shorebirds. These were Long-billed Curlew, Whimbrel, Stilt and Pectoral Sandpipers, Common Tern, and flocks of Black Tern. Large flocks of Purple Martin passed through last week and yesterday I had large flocks of Barn Swallows in town. Still waiting on your Common Nighthawk to show up 8-)

ps: Had 8 Short-billed Dowitchers show up this afternoon.

Steve-O
Thursday 26th August 2004, 04:45
Hi folks,

Good idea Samuel! I'm in MN, just outside of Minneapolis/St Paul. Some early migrants are coming through.

A flock of ~200 Commom Nighthawks was sighted over Mpls last week.

Various Canada dwelling warblers started showing up around the cities, including - Tennessee, Nashville, Chestnut-sided, Yellow-rumped, Black & White, Wilson's,Bay-breasted and Mourning.

Shorebirds and waterfowl are starting to be seen also - Greater and Lesser Yellowlegs, Semipalmated Plover and Baird's Sandpiper - on the west side of the state.

American Goldfinches had eggs in the nest last week (and we had frost in the northern part of the state!).

Let the migration begin!

Steve

Tammie
Thursday 26th August 2004, 14:35
I've been seeing greater numbers of nighthawks....... now that I've been watching more closely!
Yesterday I saw 6 to 8 flying over the the neighbourhood doing their aerial acrobatics.

samuel walker
Sunday 29th August 2004, 02:23
I saw a monarch butterfly8-27 in Cuyahoga county on Lake Erie for you fans of that migration.Nighthawks were witnessed passing by NE Ohio 8-26
Sam

Larry Lade
Tuesday 31st August 2004, 01:19
Today, in north west Missouri, I saw Black-and-white Warbler, Northern Parula and Yellow-throated Vireo. The shorebirds continue to pass through our area.

samuel walker
Saturday 4th September 2004, 13:12
9-3-04 Conneaut Ohio(NEcorner) sanderling,red knot,semi palmated SP feeding on mudflats along Lake Erie
Add migrants inc
Caspian tern
Great Black backed gull
black crowned night heron
Bonapartes gull
Sam

samuel walker
Sunday 12th September 2004, 01:48
9-11-04 Northern Ohio small numbers of coots and N shoveler observed in marsh
Sam

Beverlybaynes
Sunday 12th September 2004, 03:01
Nighthawks have been flocking and flying south for a couple of weeks through Indiana. IN-bird has been reporting (until 3-4 days ago) flocks of up to 200 passing through.

Peeps are showing up, although a lot of recent rain has made them hard to find.

A cold front earlier this week brought a lot of warblers in . . . not that I've seen any, but I've been reading about them!!

And significantly . . . a couple of Red-Breasted Nuthatches have been reported in northern and central Indiana in the last two days.

Beverlybaynes
Sunday 12th September 2004, 03:02
And if WAYWARD migration is acceptable . . . .

there's a Scissor-tailed Flycatcher hanging out in west-central Indiana, in Carroll County . . . .

Larry Lade
Sunday 12th September 2004, 04:23
There is currently a Lesser Black-backed Gull (rather unusual in Missouri) present at Smithville Lake, which is about 30 miles south of Saint Joseph, Missouri. It has been seen by several observers on several occasions.

Also a couple of days ago, I saw two Red-breasted Nuthatches in Chillicothe, Missouri, in a pine tree within the city limits.

Beverlybaynes
Sunday 12th September 2004, 11:50
Are there hints of a boreal irruption this year?

Yesterday's local Audubon field trip to Pigeon River FWA, which lies just south of Michigan border in northern Indiana, reported staging Sandhill Cranes, a nice variety of warblers, and several Red-Breasted Nuthatches. Also, two Purple Finches have been reported, one at Pigeon River and another in central Indiana.

Tammie
Monday 13th September 2004, 14:31
Are there hints of a boreal irruption this year?

Yesterday's local Audubon field trip to Pigeon River FWA, which lies just south of Michigan border in northern Indiana, reported staging Sandhill Cranes, a nice variety of warblers, and several Red-Breasted Nuthatches. Also, two Purple Finches have been reported, one at Pigeon River and another in central Indiana.

Sorry, but it really sounds strange to see such fuss about birds I get at my feeders regularly... the nuthatch and the purple finch! Guess I just assumed everyone sees them like I do!
I finally saw my first flock of Canada geese flying over this past weekend but my husband told me he's been seeing them flying south since the last week of August! Yikes! What's that mean for winter??! It's awfully early for them to fly! :eek!:
Haven't seen a hummer since Sept. 6th.

samuel walker
Monday 20th September 2004, 19:59
Sorry, but it really sounds strange to see such fuss about birds I get at my feeders regularly... the nuthatch and the purple finch! Guess I just assumed everyone sees them like I do!
I finally saw my first flock of Canada geese flying over this past weekend but my husband told me he's been seeing them flying south since the last week of August! Yikes! What's that mean for winter??! It's awfully early for them to fly! :eek!:
Haven't seen a hummer since Sept. 6th. We covered the immmense Ottawa National Refuge on 9-18.Once a month they kindly let you do it by car.We spotted the following:
least sandpiper
solitary SP
semipalmated SP
Gr yellowlegs
sanderling
buff breasted SP
semipalmated plover
ruddy turnstone
red knot
wilson's phalarope
hudsonian godwit
caspian tern
shelduck a pair to make us think we were in the UK
Sam

marianna
Friday 15th October 2004, 23:21
This year's "class" of whooping cranes has left Necedah Wildlife Refuge in Wisconsin....they took flight Oct. 10....they are being led by 3 hardy souls flying ultralights (also called "trikes") and are currently in Green County, Wisconsin. I believe there are 15 birds in this year's group....one of them is reluctant to fly with the group and has been transported via crate through the first two stops.

We can track their migration to Florida daily.

www.operationmigration.org

Wonderful website!! There is also another link at

www.bringbackthecranes.org

and they are from the same group.
This is an amazing endeavor and I really enjoyed keeping tabs on them the last two years. They fly close to where I live, and I am always hoping........ sigh.

samuel walker
Sunday 17th October 2004, 04:18
This year's "class" of whooping cranes has left Necedah Wildlife Refuge in Wisconsin....they took flight Oct. 10....they are being led by 3 hardy souls flying ultralights (also called "trikes") and are currently in Green County, Wisconsin. I believe there are 15 birds in this year's group....one of them is reluctant to fly with the group and has been transported via crate through the first two stops.

We can track their migration to Florida daily.

www.operationmigration.org

Wonderful website!! There is also another link at

www.bringbackthecranes.org

and they are from the same group.
This is an amazing endeavor and I really enjoyed keeping tabs on them the last two years. They fly close to where I live, and I am always hoping........ sigh.10-16-04 Noticed the followinig haves bugged out for warmer climes
catbird
cedar waxwing
most of the GBH
gr Egret
Green heron
Am Robin
Grackle
most shorebirds dunlin,sandpipers etc
Sam

s
catbird

Tammie
Monday 18th October 2004, 16:07
Still have grackles and starlings here but hopefully not for much longer.
Spotted 3 rusty blackbirds mixed in with them a couple of days ago.
This morning I woke up to find 3 American Tree Sparrows and a Fox sparrow under the feeders! :)
This fall has been very quiet for sparrows. And no rose breasted grosbeaks either. :(

samuel walker
Thursday 21st October 2004, 02:09
10-19-04 Cleveland OH darkeyed junco at feeder
10-20-04 Cleveland Oh Lake Erie shoreline NE wind 10-12MPH
1 lesser scaup
1 redbreasted merganser
Sam

bob parsons
Thursday 21st October 2004, 08:08
Great idea here----last weekend 7 N. Hawk Owls reported north of Edmonton, that is central alberta! Usually a few stay around all winter!

Larry Lade
Friday 22nd October 2004, 05:47
Today I had the season's first HARRIS'S SPARROWS (3) here in northwest Missouri. Other sparrows seen were Vesper, Swamp, Lincoln's, Song, White-crowned and 50+ Savannah. Also seen three Dark-eyed Junco (Slate-colored).

samuel walker
Sunday 24th October 2004, 00:58
10-22-04 Ne Ohio checking in today from way up there
In the marshes
Pintail M&F
Greenwing teal
Am black duck
Ruddy duck
N shoveler
Yellow rumpted warbler
Coot
Along the Lake Erie coast
Brant
Gone missing
catbird
robin
grackle
wood peewee
green heron
Gr egret
praying for North winds
Sam

Tammie
Sunday 24th October 2004, 23:32
Saw an amazing number of rough legged hawks this weekend. Driving between here and Thunder Bay (4 hours west) we saw at least two dozen of these beautiful birds. Most were sitting in treetops, being harrassed by crows and ravens, but we did see a few that were hovering. Never seen such a large hawk do this before!
And today, I believe I spotted the season's first flock of pine grosbeaks!! Yippee!!! Life is good! :)

Larry Lade
Sunday 24th October 2004, 23:43
OK, Tammie, I'll be waiting for the Rough-legged Hawks to arrive!

We have been getting the winter sparrows for awhile. And now the Dark-eyed Juncos are beginning to get here, as well as, Common Loons, Red-breasted Nuthatches and Pine Siskins. (We have not been getting too many of the siskins. We think they may have "over shot" us and settling in further south!) The shorebirds are still trickling through in small numbers.

Good Fall/Winter Birding to all (whose seasons are Fall and Winter). *I forgot for a moment that this is a global site and it is Winter for some and Summer for others!

So....Good Birding, no matter where you are!

samuel walker
Monday 8th November 2004, 02:16
11-7-04 Cleveland,Ohio Arctic/Boreal migrants arrive on the South shore of Lake Erie flocks numbering in the 1000s of red breasted merganser,bufflehead in flocks of a dozen or so individuals and scattered black scoter are all diving on our shoreline fish.
Sam

Tammie
Tuesday 9th November 2004, 14:02
Oddly enough, I had 4 American Goldfinches on the feeders this past weekend. That's definitely the latest sighting of them I've ever had.... I think! ;)
Saw all kinds of pine grosbeaks nibbling on gravel on the highway over the weekend but there are still very few at the feeders.

samuel walker
Sunday 14th November 2004, 02:43
11-13-04 Cleveland,OhGoldeneye,surf scoter and more bufflehead plus larger skeins of redbreasted merganser (someof 400+ individuals) are on Lake Erie
Sam

Bob D
Sunday 14th November 2004, 11:48
This link will lead to the page with links that tracks waterfowl on the Mississippi River for Iowa. And also inland reservoirs and lakes.

http://showcase.netins.net/web/iadnrcl/

For the Mississippi River scroll down to obtain the latest update.

Perhaps there are similar pages for other midwest areas.

samuel walker
Monday 15th November 2004, 01:25
11-14-04 Ottawa Nat Refuge NW Ohio dozens of tundra swan. Some great egrets remain here although most spots in NE Ohio are egret free gr Blue herons are still with us in small numbers.
Good sightings,
Sam

weather
Monday 7th March 2005, 13:22
(03/08/05) How about using this thread for "Spring Migration" too? Here in North-East Ohio, we're starting to see the return of Turkey Vultures. This annual event is covered on the 15th of March at Hinkley Ohio. Can spring be far away?

Mike