• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Houston in April (1 Viewer)

RyanI

I was wondering if anyone could help me with some advice for birding in the Houston area. I'm travelling from the UK to Houston and have two free days on the 10th and 11th April and was wondering if anyone could suggest places to bird in Houston. I do not drive so this limits what I can do. Also, can anyone recommend a reasonably priced hotel in Houston?

Cheers

Ryan

If you have a car, that time of the year should be great to head down towards Galveston and High Island.

I'm a reasonably regular visitor to Houston and find that area great for the odd day or two.

If you're happy to spend money on a flight, head to McAllen and do the Rio Grande Valley. There are some wonderful places with superb birds.

I've been down there this weekend and am trying to sort out my photos at the moment. Vermillion Flycatcher, Summer and Western Tanagers and Mississippi Kite are a few of the highlights above and beyond the usual suspects for the valley such as Great Kiskadee and Altamira Oriole.

Using Birdingpal etc get a local Houstonite(!) to take you out; easiest option with only 2days and no driving assuming you like the company of others when birding.Brazos Bend for one day and Galveston area for the other should get you plenty of birds (and alligators!)
Good luck
Russ

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back