• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ringed birds (1 Viewer)

lastcornishman

Is it possible to tell where a bird comes from just by the colours of the rings, photo taken today on Camel trail. thanks.l.

Attachments

• 2012_0122rally0004.JPG
    2012_0122rally0004.JPG
    218.6 KB · Views: 55
It is indeed, there's another thread running at the moment specifically related to colour-ringed birds. There's also a site is it ring.ac that deals with all colour ringed birds.

Many of the colour-ringed Black-tailed Godwits (like your pic) are ringed in Iceland.

I think all the colour-ringed Black-tailed Godwits recorded in the last two years on the Camel Estuary have been ringed in Iceland or Eire.
There is a ringing scheme on the south coast at Axe Estuary which I believe is catching a few.

I think all the colour-ringed Black-tailed Godwits recorded in the last two years on the Camel Estuary have been ringed in Iceland or Eire.
There is a ringing scheme on the south coast at Axe Estuary which I believe is catching a few.

Forgot to mention the Axe crew!

I took a pic of a B-t G at Bowling Green Marsh a few years back and got an amazingly detailed list of all it's sightings since it was ringed in Iceland. They are very mobile even when they have arrived for the winter. Exeter to Farlington Marsh (Hampshire) and back is a common movement. I had the details by email by return too!! :t:

It is indeed, there's another thread running at the moment specifically related to colour-ringed birds. There's also a site is it ring.ac that deals with all colour ringed birds.

Stating the obvious, of course, but the best way of finding out where the bird is from is to submit the record; for example, via ring.ac (I must look at that one) or the BTO (in these islands). The colour-ringing scheme benefits from your efforts and, hopefully, it is translated to benefits for the conservation of the species.

Allen

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back