• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Might buy a SP-810UZ (1 Viewer)

Not an olympus fan, but personally I would be really reluctant to buy a camera for bird photos that does not include a view-finder (EVF). Similar cameras that do include that option come from Canon, Panasonic (FZ series), Fuji, etc. If you buy yesteryears model, you should be able to get a really good deal.

Niels

Thanks Guys. Having taken all factors into account I'm now looking at a Nikon. Hold on I will check model.

CoolPix P500. It's £218 in Amazon. It's a price that's getting me in range of some heavyweight rivals. But, like the Olympus it has a x36 zoom. Massive! A better choice at £27 more?

I for one don't know that camera well enough to comment. Try in the Nikon part of the camera section?

Niels

Also have a look at the Fuji HS-20 its around £225 at Jessops, so if you have a branch near you you should be able to handle it, another option at some Argos branches is the Panasonic FZ45 at a similar price.

Thanks guys. Am hoping this will move me on from only securely identifying the same 50 birds all the time! Photograph - try to identify - fail - ask Bird Forum - tick!

I would agree with earlier post that an EVF is a must for bird photography. I have a fuji hs20 and I only use the viewfinder for birds. The current price for the fuji is a steal. You can point and shoot with its EXR settings or experiment with more manual settings. There are many other good bridge cameras out there. Another major reason for me getting the fuji is how well it sits in my large hands. Go to a decent camera shot and you'll be able to hold and test the cameras out. Happy choosing.

Thanks Nobby. I shopped my way right up the market till the fuji was in range but actually went for the Nikon P500 as that 36x zoom was irresistable! Now awaiting it at £218 from Amazon. Will report back on progress.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back