• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ats 80 hd with or without case (1 Viewer)

tav

I going to buy a ats 80 hd scoop, i like the feel of the scoop itself when using it,and i don't like the cases from skua and others around a scoop, is the scoop well protected by itself ?

The scope body is well made. It suppose it depends how much use it will have as to whether you buy a case or not. Mine sees a lot of use so the Swarovski case does an excellent job of keeping the scope clean and protected from any scrapes from vegetation and in the car boot.

My vote is that the case is well worth the cost.

tav said:
I going to buy a ats 80 hd scoop, i like the feel of the scoop itself when using it,and i don't like the cases from skua and others around a scoop, is the scoop well protected by itself ?
My son had the ATS65HD and the Skua case. He was not overly impressed with the case but it did its job. The rubberised body of the scope is well protected but the scope would lose so much value if this were marked or damaged that I would always buy a stay-on case myself.

Tav I have had my scope for 2 yrs now and do not use a case except for transporting it around .The Skua case was not compatible with digiscoping,so I removed it.The scope is very tough and the outer casing does not seem to mark or scratch.I just use one of the Jessops tripod cases to keep it in,but have no covering when using it.I am a little clumsy at times,but the scope is unmarked.But I do keep the lens cap in situ when the scope is not in use.

tav said:
Hello Tav,
I bought a ATS80HD 'scope about a year ago and it came with a "free"
(included in the price) Skua case. Contrary to many other views, I find it not too bad, but then I have not had such a lot of use out of it so far (due to long-term ill-health problems).
I did not have a stay-on-case for my previous 'scope, but rarely used it in bad weather. I mostly carried it (wrapped in a protective cloth) in a rucksack and treated it very carefully, so that when I sold it after about 8 years, it was in superb condition.
I believe the Skua case has more padding than the Swarovski case, and is cheaper! The worst problem with the Skua case that I found was the noise when undoing the velcro fastenings.

Roger

I have the 65 and bought a case by force of habit. I'm sure the scope is tough but I feel the need for a little extra protection.

I looked at the Swarovski digiscope mount but decided against because I did not want to carry my scope "naked". Maybe I'm being over cautious.

The case does provide an added degreee of desirable protection.

I usually have a stay on case with my scopes, but then I bought the ATS 80 none were available. When they became available I was outraged by the price (US$219). It may be a little less at certain stores. For the price of the scope the damn case should have come with it.

So right now I'm naked. I hate to be caseless, but I refuse to pay that much, and there doesn't seem to be an alternative case in the US.

Its been enough to make me rethink buying anymore Swarovski products.

I don't like these stay-on cases as they preclude the use of the aiming device. Besides, they add to the weight one has to carry. So, in order to have some protection against the cold metal, I made myself a very light weight stay-on leather wrapping for the area where I tend to touch the scope. But I also don't much care about a few scratches as long as they are only on the scope's body and not on the lenses. I'm not the "dealer" type, so try to evaluate carefully before I buy and then usually keep my equipment for a very long time.

Robert

I don't use the cases - makes something already cumbersome even more so. Just had a look at my 613 and it seems in good nick despite no case - not sure how my 'newish' ed78 would stand up as Nikon paintwork seems to flake easily.

Using a shoulder pod seems to reduce the amount of knocks the kowa gets too

Tim Allwood said:
I don't use the cases - makes something already cumbersome even more so. Just had a look at my 613 and it seems in good nick despite no case - not sure how my 'newish' ed78 would stand up as Nikon paintwork seems to flake easily.

Using a shoulder pod seems to reduce the amount of knocks the kowa gets too
Well, the ED82 has paint that looks as tough as heck so maybe that's another change over the ED78? I still use the case. Just like to protect my little babies...

A friend of mine did'nt like the stay on case for his kowa so he wrapped the whole thing with the tape used on tennis racket handles, it looked a bit strange but did the job and came off without any problems when he decided to sell it, perhaps this is an option especially if you want some protection but want to use the Swaro camera base or don't want any noise

Swarovski ats80hd stay on case

tav said:
I have just purchased a Swarovski ATS80HD which was a deal which included a stay on case free.Unfortunately the cases where out of stock and would follow in appox. 3 weeks.In the meantime having read bad reports and noticed Swarovski had brought a new case of thier own out I decided to pay an extra 80 pounds,which was the difference( the total cost was 115 pounds),but it was money well spent.The case is slim fitting,light everything is easily accessable even sight aid, would highly recommend it.

Have my ATS 80 HD for one week now and must admit that the original SOC fits perfectly and gives the scope extra protection without even disturbing the use of the aming aid. The reason i wanted the extra protection is to avoid damage by shocks and falling of the scope.
Coasts a lot but the scope is worth it. :clap:

Greetz Yamato

IanF said:
The scope body is well made. It suppose it depends how much use it will have as to whether you buy a case or not. Mine sees a lot of use so the Swarovski case does an excellent job of keeping the scope clean and protected from any scrapes from vegetation and in the car boot.

My vote is that the case is well worth the cost.

I have an ATS-80 Swarovski scope, and am considering ordering the stay-on case.

Can anyone tell me when the Swarovski stay-on case is in place, are you still able to rotate the body of the ATS-80 so shorter people can see out of the scope? This is a feature I use often.

Thanks!

Rob Miller

No, the case gets in the way; assuming the case is similar to the 65 case. A right pain in the arse for me- I'm in a wheelchair and most viewing ports are too high, so I frequently have to rotate my scope.

Dave.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back