• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Join a local Bird Club (1 Viewer)

Benjismum

As a beginner myself I would just like to suggest to other new birders that they consider joining a local bird club if at all possible.

I have been interested in birds for years and have tried watching them regularly on my own and have always ended up frustrated, because of my lack of ability to ID them.

But after joining my local Bird Club recently, I have recieved so much help from other club members, including ID'ing tips, advice on buying suitable bins, offers to use other bins and peep thru' scopes at interesting birds.

I have also seen birds from the club hides that I wouldn't have seen from the public hides. This weekend alone I have seen, and been helped to ID a Northern Wheatear, Black Tailed Godwit, Kingfisher (ID'd this myself!!) as well as some regulars such as Great Crested Grebe, Heron and Lapwings. I know these are nothing much to write home about for you experienced lot, but they're great stuff for beginners like me!

The Birdwatcher's Yearbook gives lots of information about Bird Clubs around the UK, as well as details of Nature Reserves and other useful information. It is published yearly by the Buckingham Press.

Benjismum said:
As a beginner myself I would just like to suggest to other new birders that they consider joining a local bird club if at all possible.

I have been interested in birds for years and have tried watching them regularly on my own and have always ended up frustrated, because of my lack of ability to ID them.

But after joining my local Bird Club recently, I have recieved so much help from other club members, including ID'ing tips, advice on buying suitable bins, offers to use other bins and peep thru' scopes at interesting birds.

but they're great stuff for beginners like me!
Dawn

Glad you're getting so much enjoyment from the birdwatching!.
Are you holding the Jay to blame for this?;)

Last edited:
Excellent advice Dawn. That's always a problem for me too, i.d'ing the birds when out alone.

Another tip - join Birdforum! ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back