• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

On facebook today (1 Viewer)

Can't access it at the moment but I checked their homepage and it still features the ED3s as the newest binocular.

Anybody besides me not a facebook member and never plan to be?

:-(

Can't access it at the moment but I checked their homepage and it still features the ED3s as the newest binocular.

Frank .... I am not a Facebook member and never plan to be, but I was able to view the photo. It is an artist rendering of what I assume to be the upcoming Zen-Ray Prime HD. The caption from Zen-Ray says "It's coming!".

Here it is Frank.

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 121
I am a Facebook member and was very happy to see this on my news feed first thing this morning. Would have been more excited if it was a real picture instead of a computer generated model, as it would indicate that things were moving along. But better to be patient and get a great bin than rush it and end up with problems.

John

Mighty BIG eyecups. :eek!:

Unless that's actually a 32mm, I'm guessing quite a few folks won't get their schnozzolas between those cups.

Last edited:
to get the promised wide, flat field I would assume it would have to have a bigger ocular.

I won't read too much into the renderings though.

Charles talked to me about the Prime HD eyepiece earlier this year. If I remember correctly, the outer most surface of the eyepiece is about 26mm, and the internal lenses in the eyepiece are up to 29mm in diameter.

I noticed the large eyepiece too. Does it mean a bigger ocular glass than ED3?

It could mean it will have a similar problem as the larger Kowa Prominars, namely that the eyecups inner edges come so close to each other that some will have problems getting close enough to the bin.

It could mean it will have a similar problem as the larger Kowa Prominars, namely that the eyecups inner edges come so close to each other that some will have problems getting close enough to the bin.

Unless the eyecups are bigger than the objective end, this shouldn't be a problem. My ED2 has 56mm minimum IPD, which is limited by the objective lens enclosure, which comes to rubber to rubber contact. Otherwise, it could have gone all the way to 52mm? From the picture, it's hard to tell. But I doubt its eyepiece will be bigger than 42mm objective.

Here is a copy and paste of Charle's comments on Facebook last night:

"They will be available for pre-order later this month with delivery in May. We will offer a special to our loyal customers who have been waiting patiently for this product during the pre-order period. From what I have seen and from independent third party lab testing, this will be one amazing product. -Charles"

Charles talked to me about the Prime HD eyepiece earlier this year. If I remember correctly, the outer most surface of the eyepiece is about 26mm, and the internal lenses in the eyepiece are up to 29mm in diameter.

Spacepilot,

26mm OD
29mm ID

Is this the much vaunted Tardis eyepiece design ?! :-O

I presume you were talking about the outermost ocular lens being 26mm! (which is a good couple of mm greater than the ED3)

I wonder what sort of OD of the eyepiece itself this translates to?

May ....... 2 months away :-C

Chosun :gh:

Right here Frank. No way any social network with their privacy and other problems for me!

No Facebook for me either. I can see why it is useful as advertising and contact, but the lack of privacy issues are so astounding to me I can't see why anybody would use it, although I can see I'm a monority here probably.

Yeah, that's the first thing I noticed too. They brought the eyecups right out to the edge of the barrels. Similarly, the SE's eyecups are as wide as the occular housing.

In most case, eyecups don't need to be the same width as the housings. This is certainly true for the SE where an indented eyecup such as Docter uses would help those of us with "Euro noses" and Frank with his beady eyes. :)

Brock

Attachments

• docter8x56aa.jpg
    docter8x56aa.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 61
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back