• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

More Newbie questions (1 Viewer)

MeanGene

MeanGene
I've been browsing this forum for the past week, and picked up a lot of info. At least I know what a focal length reducer does. But I still have a lot of queries before taking the plunge.
I've narrowed my choice down to a few.
- SW Pro 80ED APO
- Stellarvue Deluxe SV80ED2
- Meade 6000 80mm ED Triplet APO

Any comments on these. I plan on using it as a prime lens on a Sony A-77 camera (APS-C) sensor size.

And a few things I have been able to find a good solution for..
- How do you get these things on a tripod?
- Is it possible to get focal length reducers for these. Getting down to f/5 something or even f/ 6 would be nice.

From other posts I've read, http://www.cncsupplyinc.com/ seems to have the right adaptor (2"). But how about a polarizer. Anyone use these for their bird photos?

Looks like I'm writing a book here, better quit now.
Thanks

Hi MeanGene

I have the True-2 adapter with the safety undercut for Canon mount. The undercut often interferes with the smooth fitting of accessories, so rather go for the one without the undercut. The tube is long enough that you need not worry about it sliding out. Just make sure you always tighten all screws before taking your hands of the camera.

The Canon mount is a superb fit and there is no play like you often find with third party stuff. No doubt the Sony fit will be of the same quality. Buy and enjoy.

Best regards

Jaco

Thanks Jaco for the tip. That sounds like a good way to go.
Now to figure out whether to go for a Pan/Tilt head or a Gimbal. Lot of decisions before jumping into deep water.

gene

Hello MeanGene, I'm Tim and I, too, live in North Carolina, Cameron. It's up north of Fayetteville. I don't know much about the different camera accessaries that you mentioned as I only use a Canon PowerShot which has a lens that pops in and out. My tripod has a Tilt/Pan head which I like because of its versatility. I'm not sure about Gimbal. Do you bird much where you live?

Hi Tim, I live in Charlotte. I've been working on a garden here for the past few years, trying to make it into a good bird habitat, so I have a good supply of songbirds here. But I'm more of a photographer than a real expert on birds.
I've found learning more about birds helps the photography. I also try to hike as much as I can and there is plenty of wildlife in the state parks around here.
I do have a few photos on my website, but most of the birds are captive, so not allowed on this site.
http://meangenesplace.com/ is the address if you want to check it out.

Hi Gene

I use the Manfrotto 393 "gimbal type" head, and for what you pay it does a good job. (It is a bit of a bummer to carry around though). Nice thing with a gimbal head is you can balance the load, so that when you take your hands off it returns to the level position and your kit don't crash into the tripod. If you have the bucks there are more exotic gimbals that may do a better job.

One big drawback is that the Manfrotto plates are not long enough, so be prepared to get one of the longer plates (between 20 and 30cm) they use for astro and attach it to the Manfrotto plate.

Check the setups section for some options.

Jaco

:flyaway: Hi Tim, I live in Charlotte. I've been working on a garden here for the past few years, trying to make it into a good bird habitat, so I have a good supply of songbirds here. But I'm more of a photographer than a real expert on birds.
I've found learning more about birds helps the photography. I also try to hike as much as I can and there is plenty of wildlife in the state parks around here.
I do have a few photos on my website, but most of the birds are captive, so not allowed on this site.
http://meangenesplace.com/ is the address if you want to check it out.

Hey MeanGene, I've been wanting to turn part of my back yard into a nice 'bird-friendly' habitat but don't know where to start or what to plant! Thanks for your site address, I'll check it out! Happy birding! :flyaway:

Tim,
In the Carolinas a good place to start is with Hollies. Most of the ones you find at local garden centers are OK. They provide shelter from predators, berries for food in the autumn and look good year round. Only catch with hollies is that most require male and female plants to bear fruit, and the garden center have no clue about this.
I found the Audubon Backyard Birdwatcher to be of great help. Plenty of info about water, which plants for your region, shelter and much more.
I see Amazon has this for $126, that's crazy, must be a misprint, I bought mine 3-4 years ago for about $20. They have some used for $11, a bit more reasonable.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back