• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sociable Lapwing (1 Viewer)

Gashead

Sociable Plover/Lapwing.
Vanellus Gregarius.

Hi all, got this email and I'm passing it on esp. to those in the arabian gulf, India and NE Africa..........

22 adult sociable plovers (Vanellus gregaria) and 94 chicks were fitted
with colour rings from breeding areas east of Lake Tengiz near Korgalzhin (50?
35 ' N, 70? 01' E), Central Kazakhstan, during May-July 2004. The birds were marked with 4 coloured plastic rings above the tibio-tarsal joint
according to standard protocols for waders. Colours used during 2004 were red,light blue, yellow, black and white. 5 juveniles were also fitted with Russian metal rings on the left tarus. This scheme is part of a new long-term
study sponsored by BirdLife International on this threatened steppe species. We would be grateful for any re-sightings to help us record survival, and especially movements, during the non-breeding season. Sightings with details of colour combinations, location, date, and number of individuals observed should be sent to Dr Will Cresswell, Bute Medical Building, University of St Andrews, Fife,KY16 9TS UK. Tel +44 (0)1334 463010, email [email protected].

PLEASE PASS THIS ON TO ANY INDIVIDUALS OR ORGANISATIONS WHO MAY BE INTERESTED.

THANKS.

CLIVE.

Hi Gashead,
That is very important news for us in India and I will post it to the home forums. I am hoping that a few of these birds land at Bharatpur this winter. I saw 7 last year although I understand that about 15 visited.
Cheers!
Sumit

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back