• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Minox German BL 8x42s? (1 Viewer)

sidreilley

Hello All,
I'm new here and this is my first post - and a question. I am looking for a new pair of binos and the Minox made in Germany BL 8x42s were recommended to me but by someone selling them. They are supposed to be a new model and there is not a lot of info out there, even on the Minox site. I'm wondering if anyone here knows anything about them? One thing that bothers me a bit is the fact that they don't have metal frames. Any thoughts or info are apprecitated. Thanks.

Cheers

Metal frames? Are you referring to the body construction? I was looking at the 8x44 BL model.

I've asked about this line as well. It's apparently not overly popular. I have found what looks like a decent comparison chart of a lot of "full size" binoculars, with the 8x44 BL included. Here is a link:

http://www.birdwatching.com/optics/2011midpricebins/chart_2011.html

Perhaps their test, or their "protocols", are flawed...or perhaps not...but it's nice to look at anyway.

Also, allbinos.com, a binocular test site which looks to be independent, has a lot of interesting tests, with the different aspects detailed and compared. They're located in Poland, and don't seem to be widely known; I found them via google search. So far, nobody on here has commented about them, one way or another, when I ask. However, I don't think they've tested the Minox BL 8x42...I would have to look again. They have tested the 8x52:

http://www.allbinos.com/207-binoculars_review-Minox_BL_8x52_BR.html

For myself, I'm currently trying the Vanguard Endeavor ED 8.5x45. I'm located in southeast TN. If you happen to try the Minox or any other comparable model or brand, and think you might want to travel as far as the Knoxville TN area, I might want to drive up there and meet...to compare them. I have specific things I look for, which wouldn't take much time to evaluate.

There don't seem to be any retail stores in my area which stock the higher end binoculars, so it's becoming a matter of ordering, trying, and returning for me.

Carl

Hello All,
I'm new here and this is my first post - and a question. I am looking for a new pair of binos and the Minox made in Germany BL 8x42s were recommended to me but by someone selling them. They are supposed to be a new model and there is not a lot of info out there, even on the Minox site. I'm wondering if anyone here knows anything about them? One thing that bothers me a bit is the fact that they don't have metal frames. Any thoughts or info are apprecitated. Thanks.

Cheers

I was hoping this would come up. Not a new model, though tweaked. Some years ago I bought my sister a pair of these, in green, and was very impressed by the super-light weight (21 ounces and change?) along with a really sharp center. Very compact. Not a wide field, but maybe that's what you sacrifice for low weight. Those were made in Japan, and I borowed 'em for a day last summer and was impressed all over again. They really are nice. She lets her kids manhandle (kidhandle?) them and they were still in great shape. Back then, I paid a lot less than the going rate of $489 here in the states, but with updated coatings, etc....I'd be curious. Not many are carrying them, but it looks like Cameraland is.

Mark

Hello All,

Cheers

Welcome to BF,
I have had the BL 8x42 for a few years. They're not a popular model for some reason, I don't know why as they're a good quality product. I bought mine after a review in a British magazine where they were compared to models twice the price and came out recommended.

Minox had links to Leica in the past so have a good pedigree. I love mine, I was extremely impressed when I bought them and still am. You won't be disappointed..........

Minox had links to Leica in the past so have a good pedigree. I love mine, I was extremely impressed when I bought them and still am. You won't be disappointed..........

I agree. I'm not convinced that Made in Germany means a whole lot for Minox, but I do believe Minox offers at remarkable price points outstanding products, with thoughtful design, meticulous construction and wonderful views (wife, daughter and I presently own and love 3 HGs (8 x 33, 8 x 43 and 10 x 43), one made in Germany and 2 in Japan).

As I understand, Minox was originally a camera company, besides an optics company.

The HG line look like they would be superb, and are priced accordingly. I'd love to look through one of them sometime!

Ian, you have some terrific pictures on your flickr! Did you shoot the owl in servo AF mode? It looks like there's enough light, and no other objects near the shot...although I guess it's possible the AF tried to lock onto the owl's perch. By the way, is it trained or something? How do you get an owl out in the open on a perch like that, in daylight?

I have some owls in my area but can never see them in daytime...and only hear them at night. One did fly right over me when I was out running in my front yard at night, a couple of years ago...but I had no camera with me at that time, and no warning ahead of time!

Well I took the leap and ordered a pair so I'll see soon enough what they're like. Hoping to see them maybe tomorrow. I'll post my thoughts after I use them a bit although I'm not sure how informative I'll be. I've used binos for many years but have never really known that much about them or used a really good pair. so these could easily look great to me and not be that good.
More to follow.

When I asked about the Minox line in general I heard about a quality construction and view though somewhat lacking in FOV compared to other models within similar price range.

Hello All,

Cheers

I recently looked through a pair of Minox BV II 8x42. I was very impressed. Very good FOV. Edge sharpness was impressive. Eye relief was very good which is sometimes an issue with Minox. Fit and finish was excellent. Price was also remarkable at roughly $225 at a camera store in Boston.

I've recently tried quite a few binoculars, but haven't tried any of the Minox line, other than the BV 10x25 BR.

In the store, they seemed kind of well, terrible. They were on sale for about $100. Compared to the Nikon Trailblazer 10x25, the Nikon walked all over the Minox in every way optically. (And I am not a Nikon "fanboy", either). The Minox certainly has a better looking body, and fit in my hands ok (but not great...neither did the Nikon though). The most noticable optical problem with this Minox was a lack of contrast and a lot of glare. If you see glare inside a store, things can only get worse outdoors, obviously.

I decided to buy the Trailblazer 8x25. I've had it a couple of weeks...and silly as it sounds, am planning on returning it. Despite its compact size and double hinge foldability, optically it's still quite inferior to several of the 32mm size I tried (other brands)...no surprise I guess. So I wound up buying one of those also. I may just keep that one.

The size of these Nikon 8x25's becomes tiresome to hold for more than a couple of minutes, because I'm holding with fingertips. The view is also made unsteady by this. I have average size hands for a guy. The focus knob is very tiny and has lots of play, so that also makes viewing more of a bother. But for anyone with child-size hands, who absolutely doesn't want anything bigger than 25mm no matter what, I could possibly recommend the Nikon Trailblazer 25mm series...at its pricepoint.

Sorry if this reads like a bs review, though! I'm just rattling on, I guess...my bad.

Given Dan's thoughts on the BV II 8x42, obviously not all of the Minox BV line will have the same poor performance as the tiny one I tried. It's also possible this was a poor sample, but given that these smallest of the BV line don't even have phase coated prisms, it's possible this is a factor. I'm not even sure if the little Nikon has the coating or not, but whatever it has, it clearly achieves a better result. Outdoors though, this Nikon has about as much glare as the Minox had, while in the store.

I'm envious of those of you who have the Minox HG line. That is far above my budget for optics, at least ones that don't also take pictures.

Last edited:
The new MIG 8x42 and 10x42 BLs are now up on Minox's Website (I can understand the cornfusion over model designations above with all the similar letters they use, these have polycarbonate housings and are apparently replacing the same model previously made in Japan (?).

I know the MIG HGs have different specs (wider FsOV) than their Japanese-made predecessors, and being "Made in Germany" (remember the warnings about that label).

The MIG HG's cost more, and I would imagine so will the MIG BLs, although the BL's specs appear to be unchanged.

The Japanese are very good at QC so I'm not sure what advantage being "Made in Germany" would be for the buyer if they are otherwise the same binoculars.

http://minox-optik.de/minox_bl/en

Specs new:
http://www.bestbinocularsreviews.com/blog/new-minox-bl-made-in-germany-edition-binoculars-01/

Specs old:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/427603-USA/Minox_62152_BD_8x42_BL_Binocular.html

Brock

Last edited:
So, do we know if the German BLs are any different. Minox website says they are, "Equipped with high-resolution high-tech specialized glass." Is this some sort of different glass than was used in the previous BL models? Are the materials exactly the same, only put together in Germany or is anything new?

I'm interested in trying them and see how they compare to certain HD models in that same point, Vortex Viper HD, Nikon Monarch 7, Zen-Ray ED3.

[QUOTE
I know the MIG HGs have different specs (wider FsOV) than their Japanese-made predecessors, and being "Made in Germany" (remember the warnings about that label).

The MIG HG's cost more, and I would imagine so will the MIG BLs, although the BL's specs appear to be unchanged.

The Japanese are very good at QC so I'm not sure what advantage being "Made in Germany" would be for the buyer if they are otherwise the same binoculars.
[/QUOTE]

The Minox HGs are superb binoculars. I have a number of examples of both German and Japanese manufacture (for example, MIG 8 x 43 and MIJ 10 x 43, respectively) and can see no optical or mechanical differences between the two, other than a wider FOV for the German made versions. I would not expect anything different as far as optical and mechanical quality is concerned for the BL series.

So, do we know if the German BLs are any different. Minox website says they are, "Equipped with high-resolution high-tech specialized glass." Is this some sort of different glass than was used in the previous BL models? Are the materials exactly the same, only put together in Germany or is anything new?

I'm interested in trying them and see how they compare to certain HD models in that same point, Vortex Viper HD, Nikon Monarch 7, Zen-Ray ED3.

Dear friend, i am not able to do a comparison with the binoculars that you love. I've used the BL 8x42 only with my Swarovision 8.5x42. By the way i'll publish the review of this new Minox binoculars this afternoon on binomania.it . I hope to give you, in this way, more information. Best Regards from Italy
Piergiovanni

Cameraland has the German BL's (both 8 and 10x) on sale right now for $350.00--a steep discount. My guess is they aren't selling too well.

I'm seriously tempted because I've used this ultralight bino and I really like it. Trouble is I just can't justify it since I've got everything I need.

Any takers?

Mark

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back