• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding near SE London in Dec/Jan (1 Viewer)

streatham

Heading back to the old country ;) for christmas - does anyone have some good recomendations for somewhere local that I can head to - I've already worked out that the WWT place in Barnes could be good - does anyone else have any suggestions? My other thought was to head back to Beddington Sewage Farm - which I used to go to with my dad as a kid (ahhhh nostalgia) - does anyone know if it's still a site worth visiting (I note they had a Killdeer there once - cool) - it seems that from what I can find it is difficult to access now (don't remember that being the case in the early 80's).

Thanks in advance - Luke

Ah Ha - shouldn't have been so lazy - I actually found a website devoted to Beddington - which is great and done a little reading round here - any thoughts still appreciated though.

Hi Luke,( assuming they let you back in!) the link below to the Birding in London website should give you a few ideas.
http://www.birding-in-london.co.uk/

Will you have a car during your stay?...if so, the Kent and Essex coasts would be a good bet that time of year.Lea Valley would also be good(Bittern)

I'm usually out of the Country that time of year, otherwise I'd be glad to show you around....might be worth checking the local RSPB groups in the area you'll be staying, as they often organise day trips.

Let me know if there is any specific info I can help with.

Hi Trevor - thanks for the info - i'll check it all out when I get a moment - I may have a car but at the same time it's really family time so I don't think I'll be going anywhere too far. Thanks for the offer of showing us around - the thought that counts. Of course if you're ever up in CT and I'm here i'd be happy to do the same - but apart from piping plovers I can't think what you'd be looking for ;). Once I've had a look through my Collins I may private message you and try get some info on specific birds from you.

Thanks Luke

I think the WWT place in Barnes is by far the best place if time & transport are limited. If you can get on a train & make it down to Canterbury/Faversham/Ashford area on a date when I'm free I'd also be happy to show you around, John

streatham said:
Heading back to the old country ;) for christmas - does anyone have some good recomendations for somewhere local that I can head to - I've already worked out that the WWT place in Barnes could be good - does anyone else have any suggestions? My other thought was to head back to Beddington Sewage Farm - which I used to go to with my dad as a kid (ahhhh nostalgia) - does anyone know if it's still a site worth visiting (I note they had a Killdeer there once - cool) - it seems that from what I can find it is difficult to access now (don't remember that being the case in the early 80's).

Thanks in advance - Luke
Hi Luke only just noticed your post. I live in S.E. London and would agree with all the other posts that you have had about this. Other good sites which are worth checking out are Cliffe Marshes ( A recent RSPB reserve has been established here so info should be available about what is around) and the Sevenoaks Wildfowl Trust's reserve just north of that town could be worth checking out. I also enjoy walking along the River Darenth path which leads out to Darford Marshes eventually. Local RSPB websites may also have some useful information. I know there is one for the Bexley area for example. There is another new RSPB reserve at Rainham Marshes but I have not visited yet. I also have a phone number for arranging visits to Beddington Sewage Farm which is 02086421953. That info was on a website some time ago so might be out of date. The London Natural History Society website may also have some useful links and information.

That's about all I can think of for now.

Keith

If the family want to look round Canterbury you could slope off to Grove Ferry for a while (it's only a short walk from a frequent bus service from Canterbury). Alternatively let them look at the historic town of Faversham whilst you pop out to Oare Marshes.

infopt2000 said:
Rainham Marshes isn't fully open yet, but there is a special visitor day on December 5th, details on the RSPB website.

Not sure if you'll be in London at this date but I would suggest you avoid it as a birding trip. I attended the October one and it is interesting to see a developing reserve, but it will be a while before this is a good birding spot (it's also north of the river!), there are better spots to try that are closer/similar distance as mentioned in other posts.

It may be an idea for a family trip though, with a bit of birding thrown in. At the October day they had, pond dipping, grass netting (might be a bit late for that?), an open-topped london bus to take you from the start of the reserve to the main area, guided walks, a few stalls and a bar-b-q. We spent a few enjoyable hours here (me, wife (very non-birder) and two kids aged 6 and 4).

Cheers,
Paul

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back