• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding sites close to M20 (1 Viewer)

Oare Marshes,nr Faversham;

Stodmarsh/Grove Ferry, off A28 Canterbury to Margate road.

Dungeness RSPB reserve.

Those are my suggestions, Helen, just about fit the 20 minute detour bill.

Hi Helen,

Very close to Dover itself is Samphire Hoe which often has some good sightings. You will see signs for this near Dover itself. Also gives good sea views to France. Only 20 minutes from where I live.

Another site is the New Hythe Gravel pits north of the A228 junction west of Maidstone.

I think it fair to say that while the site Trevor names are better than the two I named they are all more than 20 minutes from the M20. Oare is about 25-30 minutes.

Sorry, Trevor !

Helen - when are making your trip?

robinm said:
I think it fair to say that while the site Trevor names are better than the two I named they are all more than 20 minutes from the M20. Oare is about 25-30 minutes.

Sorry, Trevor !

Helen - when are making your trip?

Not at all, Robin....but I must point out that I've seen first-hand evidence of Helen's driving and she can get a fair distance in 20 minutes ;)

Grousemore said:
Not at all, Robin....but I must point out that I've seen first-hand evidence of Helen's driving and she can get a fair distance in 20 minutes ;)
You have the advantage over me, sir!

John C has a valid point - some sites are better at different times.

John Cantelo said:
Depends on season & time! Please advise so I can make an intelligent judgement! John
It will be this week, probably Thursday morning/lunchtime...ish. Depends how busy the M25 is :C

Just a thought Helen. If you went to Oare Marshes you could carry on to Dover down the M2/A2.

If you wanted a guide around Oare I might be available on Thursday lunchtime.

Thanks for that Robin. Sounds a good idea. How long would it take from O.Marshes down the M2/A2 to Dover then?

If you are available send me a PM, and we'll go from there.

Regards

helenol said:
Thanks for that Robin. Sounds a good idea. How long would it take from O.Marshes down the M2/A2 to Dover then?
Autoroute says 40 minutes. So, from what Trevor says, half an hour ;)

helenol said:
If you are available send me a PM, and we'll go from there.

Regards
I'll confirm for sure by tomorrow am.

Sorry, Helen, couldn't resist it.
Seriously, I think you'll enjoy Oare...it's a small 'compact' site, where you can get close views of waders particularly. A search of recent Oare Threads will tell you the species that should be seen, but anything can turn up.
Bring something warm though, as the easterly wind there can be challenging!

Grousemore said:
Bring something warm though, as the easterly wind there can be challenging!
It's certainly going to be breezy.

I have seen 88 species there in the last month - with a good selection of waders. I hope I can point out some good birds.

One thing is for sure we are more likely to see a Red Kite than a Willow Tit !

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back