• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Amanita muscaria (1 Viewer)

Saphire

Christine
I took this photo on the 6th Sept in my Garden at the base of birch tree's. I hope I have the name right. It is a shame they all opened, then split apart. I was looking forward to getting some nice pictures of them open as they are quite large between 10 and 15cms across.

Christine

Attachments

• Amanita-muscaria-(4)a.jpg
    Amanita-muscaria-(4)a.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 148
  • Amanita-muscaria-(1)a.jpg
    Amanita-muscaria-(1)a.jpg
    247.1 KB · Views: 137
Saphire said:
I took this photo on the 6th Sept in my Garden at the base of birch tree's. I hope I have the name right. It is a shame they all opened, then split apart. I was looking forward to getting some nice pictures of them open as they are quite large between 10 and 15cms across.

Christine
Lovely photos of a fine fungus. I think they like beech.

Did you know that shamen in Lapland used to feed the Fly Agaric to reindeer, then drink the urine to get a psychodelic 'high'! And that English witches used to achieve the same effect by smearing it on their brooms and sitting on them! Isn't nature wonderful! LOL!

David Bryant said:
Did you know that shamen in Lapland used to feed the Fly Agaric to reindeer, then drink the urine to get a psychodelic 'high'! And that English witches used to achieve the same effect by smearing it on their brooms and sitting on them!
Shamans and witches...? I love the story about the witches. Sounds a bit erotic for BF, though!

I have found Fly Agaric under silver birch most frequently, but it also grows in most fields surrounded by birch, aspen and beech, so take your pick.

Watcha

anyone wanting to see Fly Agarics in quantity should go to Holkham Pines in a couple of weeks - it's a great sight.

A lad in our town made a drink with them once - 'woke up' three days later with very ripped jeans and two black eyes and no memory whatsoever. Think vikings used to take them to go 'beserk'.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back