• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Robin Nestbox Help (1 Viewer)

Kiscokid

Hi
I have just purchased a robin nestbox from RSPB which has no back. I am going to put it amongst some ivy climbing the wall of my house, however I'm a bit worried about how to fix it with it not having a back!
Anyone else got one of these and could they give me some tips on how to get on the wall!!??

No takers anyone ? Just looking for some advice on how best to place this robin nestbox - I have 3 walls in the garden. One with Ivy, one with a thick clematis and the other a medium size thorny shrub - pyrocantha I think. None of the aspects get too much sun but just trying to figure which would be the most suitable. I guess I've plenty of time to think about it !!

"No takers anyone ? Just looking for some advice on how best to place this robin nestbox - I have 3 walls in the garden. One with Ivy, one with a thick clematis and the other a medium size thorny shrub - pyrocantha I think. None of the aspects get too much sun but just trying to figure which would be the most suitable. I guess I've plenty of time to think about it !!"

Try South and or East facing, as for mounting "backless boxes" (I have not seen any of these before) any DIY store should have small 90° brackets, so they should be of some use. Rawlplug the wall, and screw the bracket into the sides of the box and the rawlplugs in the wall. Try it, in any of the Ivy, Clematis or thorny shrub. At least 6 feet up if possible. I have home-made Robin boxes, but they don't like them. They nest in racking which I have between a shed and the greenhouse.
Best of luck anyway.
I would buy another 2, and put 1 on each of the walls and see which works best. Then perhaps next year, shift any which is not being used, to a position which is more likley to be used, but try and keep them well apart. Saves territorial fighting.

Regards

Malky.

Malky thanks for this advice - very helpful. I'm sure I read that the backless boxes have the best take up among robins I think it was in the RSPB brochure. Either way - I'll report back next year on activity
cheers

Any of the shrubs should be fine if you can tuck the box well in but robin boxes also work low down in dense cover (not recommended if you have terrestrial predators in the garden such as foxes, stoats, cats or squirrels). There are alternative robin boxes that have a back and these are generally better for a low level position.

Kiscokid said:
Strange question perhaps - but By tucking the box well into the foliage will the birds still find it???!!
Hi Kisco,

Yes, the entrance can be clear if the box is at a moderate height but you can completely conceal a box if it is low down. Birds spend most of their time in cover and a ground feeder like trhe robin only pops out to feed so they have no real difficulty finding the boxes. By nature, robin boxes are accessible to predators and it is better to disguise what the structure is as much as possible. Robins can have up to three broods in a season and it is possible that they will not use the box each time but please do not be tempted to empty the box before the autumn.

Ian

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back