• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bakethin Raptor Viewpoint (1 Viewer)

a_j_steele

Coming up to Northumberland for a week hoilday and I know there meant to a Raptor Viewpoint in kielder water roughly in the Bakethin reservoir area and i was wondering if anyone could point me in thr right direction for where to go and places to park if not a local secret many thank

The viewpoint best to use (at least to view the Osprey nest) is Mounces Viewpoint at NY656887 - you will need a scope though as the nest is c.1.5km to the north.

Thanks for the import i read there was a viewpoint where a chance of seeing Goshawk but could be wrong as it was 2nd hand information

I had cracking views of Osprey from the Leaplish waterside park on Wednesday,from what i gather the nest is miles away but one bird twice flew right across the water to fish on the Leaplish side flying right over me in the process.

Thanks for the import i read there was a viewpoint where a chance of seeing Goshawk but could be wrong as it was 2nd hand information

The Bakethin Raptor Viewpoint is virtually redundant now as the surrounding trees have not thinned out enough to maintain good visibility. As Alan says Monces Viewpoint is as good a place as any at Kielder to see Gos, although you are probably going to struggle at this time of year. At least the Ospreys should be showing well, and there is always the chance of a Gos. The Osprey nest can also be viewed from Leaplish - along the reservoir shore just past the bird/squirrel feeding station hide. I consider the views from Leaplish to be better than those from Mounces Viewpoint.

There's still plenty of Crossbills at Kielder at the moment, along with Siskins & Lesser Redpolls. Raptor wise you will see plenty of Buzzards and there is always a chance of something else, such as Merlin or Peregrine. Bakethin Reservoir (at the northern end of the Reservoir) is always worth a look - best viewed from the viaduct on the eastern edge or Bakethin Weir, although there is also a hide on the western shore. I also always have a look off the dam. Although there are rarely any birds at this end of the reservoir, this ara of water has attracted the likes of divers, grebes, Sandwich Tern, skuas and Kittiwake in the past.

Cheers
Paul

The Bakethin Raptor Viewpoint is now redundant. Forestry Commission have removed the signs that indicated it's location and have put a barrier across the bottom of the track that you used to be able to drive up to get to it, in order to discourage any use of that viewpoint.

Gos is relatively easy in February/March...and then gets really difficult. I was watching an active nest site in early May and saw a grand total of no birds. Your best chance at this time of the year will be during interaction between a territorial male and other raptor species, so watch any raptor you see carefully, particularly if it's drifting across a plantation.

cheers
martin

Coming up to Northumberland for a week hoilday and I know there meant to a Raptor Viewpoint in kielder water roughly in the Bakethin reservoir area and i was wondering if anyone could point me in thr right direction for where to go and places to park if not a local secret many thank

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back